real time web analytics
Whitechapel Station, Queen Elizabeth Line, London - Feb 2018 | Yorrick | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Whitechapel Station, Queen Elizabeth Line, London - Feb 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I’d never get to do this without permission. Even if I had the ability, I don’t have the courage.
So when I was asked if I wanted a guided tour of the underground part, I was straight on the train.

Note: Whilst I had permission to be there, I didn’t have permission to take photos and put them on line, hence NP.
Also, all photos hand held with my phone, so not the best.

Crossrail

Crossrail Limited, established in 2001, is the company that has been set up to build the new railway that will become known as the Elizabeth line when it opens through central London in 2018.
It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Transport for London (TfL) and is jointly sponsored by TfL and the Department for Transport.
Once the railway is complete it will be handed over to TfL and run as part of London’s integrated transport network.

Whitechapel

Located in a rich and culturally diverse area, Whitechapel station is an important interchange for both the Hammersmith & City and District lines and London Overground.
The design approach will see the new Elizabeth line station weave between the existing transport services to an elevated station concourse which acts as a bridge improving community links.
Access to all interchange services will be from a spacious, new ticket hall sitting on a bridge above the Victorian railway.
Entry to the station will be through the refurbished original entrance on Whitechapel High Street. To improve connectivity to the surrounding area a new second entrance will be provided at the northern end of the station.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Final Cladding

5.jpg

Looking up the escalator shaft with most of it's cladding

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Saint Barbara, patron saint of tunnelling.
A statue of Saint Barbara is placed near the future tunnel portal during the groundbreaking ceremony of most major tunnelling projects (sic).

11.jpg

Cable tunnel under the platform

12.jpg

13.jpg

Beyond the cable tunnel the track is at eye level.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Thanks for looking.​

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing they turned this site around, last time I was here it was flooded and a complete mess. Worst on the system if irc. Looking a lot better now.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Wasn’t the real pit of doom further up the system, that was grim that

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wasn’t the real pit of doom further up the system, that was grim that
The cross over was really bad, made for some interesting pictures though, i guess it was where they broke in through the 2 tunnels.