Web
Analytics
Report - - Whittingham Asylum - nr Preston - May 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whittingham Asylum - nr Preston - May 2011



Snake Oil

go in drains
Regular User
#1
Whittingham Asylum, whose grounds adjoin the village of Goosnargh, grew to be the largest mental hospital in the country, and pioneered the use of electroencephalograms (EEGs). During its time it had its own church, farms, railway, telephone exchange, post office, reservoirs, gas works, brewery, orchestra, brass band, ballroom and butchers.

In 1866, the three Lancashire lunatic asylums at Prestwich, Rainhill and Lancaster were deemed to be full. The building of Whittingham Asylum began in 1869, originally to accommodate 1000 patients. It was built from brick made from clay dug on site from a pit which later became a fish pond.

The hospital officially opened on 1 April 1873. The large site included an Anglican church, a Catholic chapel, a recreation hall (also used as a ballroom) and several farms.

By 1923, the hospital was known as “Whittingham Mental Hospitalâ€￾. By 1939, the number of patients was 3533, with a staff of 548, making it the largest mental hospital in the country.

By 1948, it had incorporated Ribchester Hospital, and became known as “Whittingham Hospitalâ€￾.

The Mental Health Act of 1960 deemed large institutions like Whittingham to be out of favour. Allegations of cruelty to patients led to a public inquiry.

During the 1970s and 1980s, new drugs and therapies were introduced. Long-stay patients were returned to the community or dispersed to smaller units around Preston. The hospital eventually closed in 1995.

Thanks to Buddah for the invite.

01.jpg


02.jpg


03.jpg


05.jpg


06.jpg


07.jpg


08.jpg


09.jpg


10.jpg


11.jpg


12.jpg


13.jpg


14.jpg


15.jpg


16.jpg


17.jpg


18.jpg


19.jpg


20.jpg


21.jpg


22.jpg


23.jpg


24.jpg


25.jpg


26.jpg


27.jpg


29.jpg


30.jpg


31.jpg


32.jpg