real time web analytics
Report - - Whittingham Hospital/Asylum, Goosnargh - August 2010. | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whittingham Hospital/Asylum, Goosnargh - August 2010.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Whittingham Asylum, Goosnargh - Visited By 2 Lunatics Ojay & AndyJ23UK.

(Pic Heavy)

Whittingham.jpg

Thought it best to do some overground stuff, just to keep my INSANITRY LOL

We spent all day Wednesday in drains, and Andy had a hectic weekend ahead planned, so his brief was "something easy going, no climbing and nothing too on-top" - LOL.

Fast forward 5 hours and we were both f@@ked. "Something easy going" & "No climbing" Pfft, we had done more walking and climbing shit than we had done previously.

As for "nothing too on-top" we were doing ok until around 3 hours in we spent the rest of the time evading the patrolling Seccas, and a comedy moment as we were just about to leave we were spotted by the patrol car. Jokes as we casually climbed the fence and walked away. What's the point in employing security here...? Fucking Mental!

Some History - I will keep it brief as this place has been done to death.

Whittingham Hospital opened officially on 1st April 1873 and later in 1923 became a Lunatic Asylum known as 'Whittingham Mental Hospital'.

It also pioneered the use of electroencephalograms (EEGs). It's grounds also included a church, farms, railway, telephone exchange, post office, reservoirs, gas works, brewery, orchestra, brass band, ballroom and butchers.

By 1939, the number of patients was 3533, with a staff of 548, making it the largest mental hospital in the country, and one of the largest in Europe.

Closing in 1995, the place is now f@@ked, having been raped by the pikey's and done to death by every UE in the country as well as suffering at the hands of the local chavs.

It is planned to build 650 new homes on the site and to preserve some of the hospital buildings as apartments. Another case of the local residents objecting to the planning application.

On with the photo's.....

EXTERNALS

Wex4_stitch.jpg

Wextb_stitch.jpg

Wing5_stitch.jpg

Water Tower

Tower.jpg

MAIN BLOCK - St. Lukes Division

Pfft

Wsign1.jpg

Anxd_stitch.jpg

corrrr2_stitch.jpg

Door1-2.jpg

Some of the many long corridors and walkways

ramp3_stitch.jpg

Wcorrr3_1stitch.jpg

Pink.jpg

A typical ward

ward6_stitch.jpg

superint.jpg

Kitchen area, and strangely a bed left amongst the dereliction

kit2_stitch.jpg

Bed.jpg

Along the way

Trolley.jpg

Lchair.jpg

Win2_stitch.jpg

exxt.jpg

SAFE - Safe

No doubt this was where the patients 壣 was stashed away

Safe2_stitch.jpg

Chapel & Remains of original organ

Chapel12_3stitch.jpg

org4_stitch.jpg

Main Hall

Hall9_stitch.jpg

Backstage

Bacs3_stitch.jpg

I queried with Andy where the ladders above went, the woodwork didn't look too clever, but intriguing at the same time.

"If you climb up and through the hole above, you can walk along over the roof of the main hall, there is an interesting stained glass window at the end"....

Before he could finish explaining, I was already up the ladder, it was a bit dodge up here, so found my way across to the 'hole' as quick as I could.

Once up there was a couple of rickety planks that disappeared into the distance, along I went with caution

rof5_stitch.jpg

"OJAY - Watch the holes in the ceiling"

Hole1-3.jpg

Ah, that hole (Gulp)

Eventually I made it to the other side, a quick shot of the stain glass window and I was back down

glass2_stitch.jpg

On the way a quick stop to check out the old projector room

proj2_stitch.jpg

And lastly the Graveyard - R.I.P.

Graves.jpg

Thanks for looking & Shouts to Andy for his knowledge of the place and his ability to navigate us safely through all the dereliction​

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details