real time web analytics
Report - - Whittingham Lunatic Asylum - Preston, Lancs - April 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whittingham Lunatic Asylum - Preston, Lancs - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

THEJBUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Whittingham Lunatic Asylum

Alright guys its JB,
We've been to Whittingham Asylum three times now in the last month and sad to say but each time we go there's more gone. Seriously though I'm talking within one week they've demolished whole wings.

So the place has been shut down because of serious abuse by staff and some staff essentially stealing around 40,000 pounds off patients when it was open. Horrible i know, but one thing did get me thinking.
I noticed that all of the good bricks have been saved, wrapped and put on new pallets. All of the Ornate Columns were lay out ready for collection and same story with all of the Lintels from the windows.

Why is it people wont save a beautiful building / complex like this one but we have no problem destroying it and using essentially all of the remains for future building? You would think that even in smaller parts if a building truly is 'evil' etc you wouldn't want anything to do with it.

What are your opinions?

Whittingham Lunatic Asylum was founded in 1869 and grew to be the largest mental hospital in Britain, and pioneered the use of electroencephalograms (EEGs). During its time it had its own church, farms, railway, telephone exchange, post office, reservoirs, gas works, brewery, orchestra, brass band, ballroom and butchers. It closed in 1995.

On 18 July 1967, the Student Nurses' Association held an enquiry with the senior nursing tutor. The enquiry heard (among others) the following complaints:

That patients had been left untreated
That some patients had been given only bread and jam to eat or had been given food mixed up and served as "slops"
That some patients had been locked outside, regardless of weather conditions, or in washrooms and cupboards.
That in one ward, students had witnessed patients being dragged about by their hair.
That on ward 3, a male ward, patients were given "wet towel treatment", which involved twisting a cold, wet towel or bed sheet round a patient's neck until the patient lost consciousness. Patients were also seen to have been punched and locked in a storeroom.
On ward S2, another male ward, it was alleged that two male nurses had poured methylated spirits into the slippers of one patient and into the dressing gown pocket of another and set them alight.

In 1968–69, £91,000 was issued from sources for the use of patients, yet only £42,000 was recorded as having been spent in the hospital shop, supposedly leaving the remaining £49,000 unaccounted for.

As a result of the investigation, both the Head Male Nurse and the Matron took early retirement. Two male nurses were convicted of theft and in a separate incident another nurse was jailed for manslaughter after an elderly patient he had assaulted later died.

Ive Left Loads of information out because honestly there is so much history here i don't want to ruin the thread. Check the Wikipedia out though if you need more :) Whittingham Hospital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13886222287_d0cacece5f_b.jpg

14069728452_c4904db23e.jpg
13886478458_4b6bf7a668.jpg

13886508828_9c6feba8d0_b.jpg

14069704082_a259ed15e7.jpg
14073008115_48c3b57d91.jpg
13886322230_4923e14b91.jpg
14073340474_e9fc5c58af.jpg

14069846992_70a1943d0b_b.jpg

13886458967_262493b2aa_b.jpg

Thanks for looking guys any comments / criticism welcome. I filmed the view from the water tower too so you can see what its like in there first hand. Thanks again :)

EDIT - Noticed on most of these Whittingham threads you guys wanted some external or aerial shots, so we rocked up with a cherry picker and got some before its too late...
Like badmen ;)

Attachments

• 13886222287_d0cacece5f_b.jpg
    13886222287_d0cacece5f_b.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 74
  • 14069846992_70a1943d0b_b.jpg
    14069846992_70a1943d0b_b.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 30

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Whittingham Lunatic Asylum - Preston, Lancs - April 2014

Some really nice shots there mate.

The hall does look odd with the stained glass uncovered again, lets hope that they save those windows at least!

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member

Nice shots mate, sad she's nearly gone. What bits are they actually keeping?

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Good to see more people making an effort with this place since it's days are now numbered

mattdonut

Like and subscribe
28DL Full Member

good work
hopefully "some unseen for years" bits will turn up

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User

I ought to get my arse back up here, going to miss this place. :(

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

*Lunatic Asylum*

:)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Ban hammer if mental is used again :D

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I wonder how many of us on here have OCD :popcorn

I have... and with that in mind JB, if you type a double space in between the IMG tags it puts a gap between the pictures when you have two on the same line, and aligns the outside edges :D

Nice pics by the way... I never did do Whittingham :(

THEJBUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I have... and with that in mind JB, if you type a double space in between the IMG tags it puts a gap between the pictures when you have two on the same line, and aligns the outside edges :D

Nice pics by the way... I never did do Whittingham :(

Yeah i know. I did preview the photos like that and considered it actually, but i like the variation.

low'n'lazy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

can anyone tell me if the vault and or dafes still there?