Web
Analytics
Wide Angle lenses for a Nikon | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Wide Angle lenses for a Nikon

merryprankster

Conrod the Barbarian
Regular User
errrr the search bar?? :p only pokin :) i asked this question, on here, exactly 377 days ago, chris gave me the same advice he has you and i went with it and can honestly say the tokina is a banger, the general gist with these wide angles seems to be, if the purse strings are tight, go sigma 10-20 if you got a little more to splash go tokina 11-16, its is a lovely big ol bit of glass, the wider aperture of 2.8f comes in handy given the environments we generally photograph.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The Sigma is cheaper and isn't bad either, they aren't as robust and prone to failing, like @Speed once said they probably have an entire factory dedicated to fixing them :D

The Tokina glass is much sharper and it's a faster lens, some people moan about the clutch mechanism from auto to manual, but it really isn't an issue and mainly use in manual mode anyway

BoroLad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I agree with the above said Tonkina 11-16 been looking into one for the last year.
Own a Tamron 10-24 mm but it is not the sharpest of lens or the best for low light...
Well worth the extra money for the Tonking or you will spend the next couple of years kicking yourself for buying the underdog (Sigma and Tamron)

Speed

Got Epic?
Staff member
The Tamron is still a good option if you're on a budget. It's a good lens just not quite as good as the Tokina.

The sigma 10-20 comes in two versions the old f4 one is out of date now and should be avoided the new f3.5 one I'm still in the process of testing but sense would say the Tokina is still a better by as it's not much more expensive and has better spec.

Last edited:

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
The sigma 10-20 comes in two versions the old f4 one is out of date now and should be avoided the new f3.5 one I'm still in the process of testing but sense would say the Tokina is still a better by as it's not much more expensive and has better spec.
I've been using the "old" lens for years now on Pentax cameras and have no plans to change/"upgrade". It works fine, take a look at few of my reports if you want convincing. Maybe if your a pro but if all your doing is reproducing pictures 1000x800 then a second hand Sigman 10 20 f4 be ok. All depends on costs at the end of the day.