real time web analytics
Question - - Wide angle lenses | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Wide angle lenses

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Madaxe

Always been the caretaker
28DL Full Member
My Sigma 10-20 has been on camera for most of my exploring shots since I got it. Great build quality - which is the exact opposite of the other sigma I used to own (100-300). :-)

That 10-20 was on my list for a while before they released the 8-16. Both great lenses. The other one I've got is the Sigma 105 macro and that thing feels just as sturdy.

Floox

Pentax Fanboy
28DL Full Member
I've been wondering between getting the Tamron 10-24 or the Sigma 10-20.
I think the Sigma seems to have better overall IQ as long as you get a good copy cause the Quality Control of Sigma isn't all too good. The build quality of the sigma is apparently much better than the Tamron too.
However the Tamron does have the extra range, yes only 4mm, but at the lower end it could be very useful. However many people do notice softness with the tamron especially when used wide open.
They seem to be almost identical in price so I think the best bet (just) would probably be the Sigma as long as it's a good one.

Wadawads

28DL Member
28DL Member
I've got the tamron 10-24mm lens too and its fantastic. I couldnt really justify spending the near £500 to neither myself nor the girlfriend but i purchased anyway :D hehe I use it more than any other lens!

LordLatto

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
well, ive not been on here for a while, but back again. I read what you guys wrote and a couple of days ago I looked at my savings and decided it was time. I'm now a proud owner of the Sigma 10-20mm lens. Well chuffed!

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Congrats bud. Just knowing dat has become my new reason fer livin'

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Do you use a tripod? If not being soft wide open is an issue, but if you do use a tripod you shouldn't be shooting wide open ever as almost all lenses give lower quality results wide open. f8 - f11 is ideal for most lenses.

Although in most cases I'd agree with that, shooting wide open comes into effect when you utilise the minimum focusing distance on an object to get that nice 'bokeh' (background blur)

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details