real time web analytics
Question - - Wide angle lenses | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Wide angle lenses

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

LordLatto

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So many of you are getting great perspective on your explores via wide angle lenses. I thought my 18-200 lenses would do the trick, but it doesnt touch some of the amazing angles some of you are getting.

Can i get a run down of what lenses you guys and gals best enjoy using?

Its next on my list to purchase (when i can afford to) so any recommendations will be truly appreciated.

SyndicCells

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Depends on your budget man.

I started off with an 8mm Samyang fisheye which was about £160 and that did the job pretty well for rooftops. Works well inside but it's a definite one trick pony.

Just invested omn a 10-20mm Sigma and thats a real step up but I paid quite a bit more for that about £290.

See what everyone else is on as well because certain lens are better for certain kinds of explore

the invisableman

Sac magic
28DL Full Member
Get yourself down to your local camera shop and have a play with the different types and take it from there.

For the record i use a Tamron 10-24 mm

LordLatto

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Depends on your budget man.

Just invested omn a 10-20mm Sigma and thats a real step up but I paid quite a bit more for that about £290.

Yea i looked at this one in a mag and my first thought was it might be worth a shot.

But yea invis'man, i should do that.. camera shop and get a feel.
Good to hear what you guys use still. Thanks. :)

Treadstone

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yea i looked at this one in a mag and my first thought was it might be worth a shot.

But yea invis'man, i should do that.. camera shop and get a feel.
Good to hear what you guys use still. Thanks. :)

I was in a similar position to you. I some fantastic primes, but I replaced 3 zoom lenses with an 18-250 it's fantastic for walking round without having to change BUT it just wasn't wide enough. I have the Zenitar 16mm and have plenty of good things to say about it but it's STILL not wide enough. So the Sigma 10-20 suggested itself; I got a nice second hand one of E-bay which I've been pleased with. I'd say it's worth the money - the Zenitar is an absolute bargain, the Sigma isn't over-priced or under priced. The very wide Tokina also has plenty of fans. As mentioned above try and find a shop where you can see both.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Have had a Tamron 10-24, Canon 10-22 and Tokina 11-16 for Crop sensor and the 11-16 was absolutely hands down the best of the three.

For Ultra wide goodness get yourself a full frame didge and a Sigma 12-24...

pseudo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Get yourself down to your local camera shop and have a play with the different types and take it from there.

Good advice, the feel and handling of a lens is important.

Whatever you get, you'll be happy with the new perspective - whack it on a tripod, stop it down and it'll give good results. :thumb

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
I had a sigma 10-20mm on my first DSLR the canon 20D but found it difficult to focus properly manualy. I sold it when I switched to full frame and now my weapon of choice is the 16-35mm 2.8L II. Manual focus is much easier with a brighter, larger viewfinder.

Humpa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sigma 10 - 20 all the way, best lens ive ever invested in, does the job perfectlyyy :thumb

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
hands down the sigma 10-20 :thumb best lens in my collection. For price i would say a samyang 8mm though as they are dirt cheap but obviously alot more distortion in your photos.

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details