real time web analytics
Report - - Wildt Mellor Bromley - Leicester - June 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wildt Mellor Bromley - Leicester - June 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JuJu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Group visit with Pom, Leic_Urban_XP, Urbex1988 and Richdpg --thank you all for helping me with some confidence issues on this explore.

Wildt Mellor Bromley was established in 1884 to produce knitting machines, at one point becoming the largest manufacturer in the world.

During the 1970's the textile industry in Leicester faced a very difficult time... here is a shamelessly stolen link about the textile industry in Leicester during the 1970's... KNITTING MACHINERY (Hansard, 20 December 1974)

This building was at one point sold off for re-development, the plan was to convert it into housing for the elderly. Evidence of the building work can still be seen today; what struck some of the group was the poor state of the electrics - please be careful if/when visiting! The concrete floored corridors still remain bare and partially un-eaven, there is also a lot of Pidgeon waste in certain areas!

In the most interesting large room there is some writing in an Asian language under a balcony, I do not know what this says but appreciate the structuring of the letters - at a guess this room could have been used for worship previously but I do not know that for a fact. There is a lovely domed ceiling here and a nice atmosphere; currently this area is being used as storage for textile manufacturing - some of this building is currently still in use within the textiles industry - I am glad that this industry is being kept alive here.

This building has also had some use as a food outlet of sorts although we did not see any food production equipment.

This is not one of the biggest or best explores in the whole world, might be one for if you are in the area anyway and fancy a quick nosey.

Here are some photographs - this time to make a change I have edited them very basically - Sharpen and a slight dabble on curves! Apologies for the poor focusing, AF didn't want to play ball and I am still working on my focus by eye - It could take a while to learn this in low light to be honest!

DSC_0071_zpsaaeb62f4.jpg

DSC_0077_zps873f1338.jpg

DSC_0072_zps8bfd3b44.jpg

DSC_0073_zpse6ddfa29.jpg

DSC_0074_zpsd089f2b6.jpg

DSC_0076_zps578eb15d.jpg

DSC_0081_zps8bdc24d2.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details