Web
Analytics
Report - - William Stones "Cannon Brewery" - Sheffield - Feb 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - William Stones "Cannon Brewery" - Sheffield - Feb 2011

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
#1
William Stones started brewing at premises in Acorn Street, where this brewery took up all the western side of the street, except for the Shalesmoor corner where the Red Lion was situated. Some time after 1860 he formed a partnership with a Mr. Watts, and moved about half a mile down the road, taking over the Neepsend Brewery of Shepherd, Green and Hatfield. This became "Cannon Brewery".

In the early 1940s Stones produced a new, light coloured bitter beer, It was simply named "Stones Bitter"

stones.jpg


The Cannon Brewery and its tied estate of some 310+ pubs etc, which stretched throughout South Yorkshire and surrounding counties, was bought by Bass Charrington in 1968. Brewing continued and by then "Stones Bitter" was also brewed at the Tower Brewery in Tadcaster. The Sheffield brewery continued until 1999 when it closed. The name lives on and the beer is brewed by Coors Brewers Ltd, the successors to Bass, at their Burton-on-Trent brewery.

credit - picturesheffield

Annual horse parade of William Stones Ltd. - 1902/06/09

s03089.jpg


1910 Beeston Humber in William Stones' Cannon Brewery yard

s15363.jpg


The Brewery was also used to film some scenes for the 1996 film "when saturday comes"

17.jpg


Visited with kitty

outsidepano.jpg


stairsandwindow.jpg


stairsandskylight.jpg


stripes.jpg


stairway-3.jpg


tankPanorama-1.jpg


tankholePanorama.jpg


tube.jpg


stairsshadows.jpg


chair-2.jpg


spiralandlight.jpg


keg.jpg


buttons-1.jpg


bass.jpg


stumbled upon some other undesirables in there too :p

ymca-1.jpg


Thanks for looking :thumb
 

Attachments