real time web analytics
Report - - Willington Power Station Cooling Towers - Derbyshire - June 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Willington Power Station Cooling Towers - Derbyshire - June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
We had our little lad out with us today so decided to take him on a drive to this place as it seemed like it would be an easy, chilled out explore. We've always wanted to have a nosey at some cooling towers so can now tick this off.

History - Willington Power Station was comprised of two almost entirely independent generating stations situated on the same site. With separate management and staff, the few facilities they shared amounted to the coal and water supply. The two stations were formally known as Willington ‘A’ and Willington ‘B’, with the ‘A’ Station closest to the main road. (The A5132 was then known as the B5009). The ‘A’ Station, built in 1957, comprised four generating Units, each of 100 megawatt capacity. To service these, a pair of 425 foot chimneys (each reportedly amounting to 5,000 tons!) were provided, along with just two cooling towers. Hailed as a revolution of the time, the design of the ‘A’ Station was of four “semi-outdoor” boiler units, only the burners and steam drum of which were enclosed, arranged in a square formation.
The ‘B’ station, commissioned in 1962, was to be only two Units, albeit each of 200MW capacity – equalling the output of the ‘A’ Station with half the hardware. Only one 425 foot chimney was required for the ‘B’ Station, but three cooling towers were provided.
On 16th August 1989 Privatisation saw the power station become part of National Power PLC. 27th January 1993 saw Unit 3 of Station ‘A’, having the highest hours at 179,579, shut down, followed a few months later by Unit 4 with 174,343 hours. Willington Station ‘A’ was finally “de-synchronised” from the National Grid with due ceremony at 1830hrs on 30th September 1994, the Unit concerned being the oldest – No.1 – having operated for 173,464 hours. Closure was a formality and took place on 31st May 1995. Unit 5 was closed 31st March 1998, leaving just the sixth and last unit to struggle on. By now down-rated to 188Mw, Unit 6 took its turn to be de-synchronised a year later on 31st March 1999 — thus ending the 41 year, 3 month & 14 day history of electricity generation at Willington.

Coal train at Willington Power Station

The explore - As mentioned above we headed here as it seemed like an interesting and safe explore to take our lad on, these sites are all slowly getting shut down and demolished so it's something we've had on our list for a while. Access is very easy and it was a really chilled out place to wonder round. The towers feel very epic up close and all in all it was a great place to explore.

View attachment

Thanks for looking.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice set there. I like going here. Like you say it's a very relaxed place to wander about

Last edited:

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Nice set there. I like going here. Like you say it's a very relaxed place to wander about

Thanks. We really enjoyed it here. Relaxed and epic at the same time.

You got some nice shots there, always like seeing this one. I can see them from my bedroom window infact!

Thanks. Pretty awesome thing to see from your window! There's a few explores around this area we want to check out when we dont have the kid with us.

Nice set there mate. Never tire of this place. That's really dry that...

Thanks. It's a very cool place. Glad we checked it out.

Haifisch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great to see this place again, one of my favourite all time explores; due in part to relaxed nature and feeling as though you have these giants at your mercy.

What is the plan with these getting demolished, remember lots of talk of it happening in Autumn ‘16 but that never happened.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Great to see this place again, one of my favourite all time explores; due in part to relaxed nature and feeling as though you have these giants at your mercy.

What is the plan with these getting demolished, remember lots of talk of it happening in Autumn ‘16 but that never happened.
Thanks, I think the company that bought the land is now up for sale from what i've read so unsure when this place will get demolished. I'm sure it will at some point though.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User

There were some rare birds nesting in one of the towers which is why demolition plans were postponed last time, although they may have left now.

Pretty soon these will likely be the last of these kind of cooling towers left in the country the way it's going.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
There were some rare birds nesting in one of the towers which is why demolition plans were postponed last time, although they may have left now.

Pretty soon these will likely be the last of these kind of cooling towers left in the country the way it's going.
I'd read that peregrine falcons where nesting in them but have moved on now. Your right, there wont be any towers like these left for much longer. That's why we wanted to take our 10 year old to see them, by the time he's an adult towers like this will only exist in photographs. We have fiddlers ferry near us but security is quite high and there's a police response so not really practical to take a child! Plans have been approved to demolish fiddlers ferry as well.

Haifisch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Thank you for that. Personally I love seeing these huge structures and hate seeing them demolished. Will be a great shame when they’ve all gone.

tigger

mog
Regular User

Really?
Drax will continue to use theirs untill they change away from burning solid fuel. That won't be any time soon.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Always a pleasure to see. Youve caught some very nice angles their, great eye. Cant beat a chilled relaxed explore. :cool:

fasty

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice pictures. Those towers are a 'nearly home' landmark for me when I've been out. I was on standby in the adjacent substation when the actual power station buildings were demolished, never seen so much dust o_O

Who has read this thread (Total: 324) View details