real time web analytics
Report - - Willowclose Ironstone Mine, Northants - September 2010 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Willowclose Ironstone Mine, Northants - September 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

thompski

Leggy brunette
28DL Full Member
Think I forgot to post this or something, but yeah anyway the countryside around Kettering had considerable Iron ore deposits which lead to the development of the Corby Steelworks.

The few mines in the local area were largely worked by Stewart and Lloyds for its Corby concern and a few by the Stanton Ironworks Company.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when visiting this mine, it's much more expansive then I anticipated. We bumped into two locals on the first visit whom were considerably knowledgeable about the mines and their history and pointed us in the direction of one of the worked sections which had a large amount of railway left in situ with the hoof prints of the ponies which pulled the ore wagons out of the mine.

But yeah I digress...

5005501143_6a2bd33e78_z.jpg

5006121590_c70ffd1be4_z.jpg

5006131030_dff030bcc8_z.jpg

5006142542_12f44e99ee_z.jpg

5046865456_1711e585be_z.jpg

5046246651_f4aba95d2f_z.jpg

5046250203_b38d7e3722_z.jpg

5046253883_1aaa5e1b2c_z.jpg

Jongee

28DL Member
28DL Member
Would you mind if I used some of these photos in my research of Upleatham mine in New Marske.

Regards
Gary Guess

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Hello mate the guy your messaging has not been online since 2016 so I don’t think he will reply sadly just to let you know fair play for asking also this mine has been lost for many years now sadly got completely filled in All the addits was a Major loss to us locals

Jongee

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hello mate the guy your messaging has not been online since 2016 so I don’t think he will reply sadly just to let you know fair play for asking also this mine has been lost for many years now sadly got completely filled in All the addits was a Major loss to us locals
Thanks for that I will use them as examples of what the mining method looked like and attribute him in the text.
Thanks

Gary

Thebritishunter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Th
They finally sealed up the last entrance then? Because last I knew there was a tiny entrance still accessible a couple years back