real time web analytics
Report - - Winchelsea Caves..Dover, September 2018 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Winchelsea Caves..Dover, September 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Me and man gone wrong visited several deep level shelters a few deep level shelters a few years back. Thanks to grom for the tip offs, it was much appreciated. This was a bit different to the other tunnels we have been in as its part caves built next to a quarry which is still in use and you could virtually walk into it from the rear tunnels. The layout is similar to other deep level shelters with parallel tunnels. The tunnels were first bored out in the First World War to test a machine for boring out tunnels on the western front. It was planned to be used with the intention to protect locals from the Zeppelin attacks, but never actually saw any use.then later on in the Second World War, and could house 1,350 people.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Bit of Dover, always great to see. Just so many bits underground. Not been here personally. Nice set, don't think we`ve seen it in a while :thumb

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
It's one of my favorite local shelters, so unique to anything else in the area. You got a nice set of photos there. They've now secured both the tunnels at the large junction which is a shame.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's one of my favorite local shelters, so unique to anything else in the area. You got a nice set of photos there. They've now secured both the tunnels at the large junction which is a shame.
Thank you very much. I ain't seen many shelters down there but I agree this is so unique and was my favourite. I did hear it's been blocked off now which is sad to hear.