real time web analytics
Report - - Winchelsea tunnels, Dover, July 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Winchelsea tunnels, Dover, July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urbanginger

Ginger til I die
28DL Full Member
This was one of the first tunnels in Dover i did but due to awful point and click flash induced pictures and the fact i wasnt into the whole report writing thing this a collection of what i took on a recent visit with Stealth.

As always a bit of history

These tunnels, in the former Winchelsea Quarry, were used during WW2 as air raid shelters. They were constructed in the form of four parallel corridors with two intersecting passages. There were four original entrances in the quarry and two more which spur off from a junction at the opposite end of the tunnel. The quarry entrances are now used as workshops by the company which owns the tunnels and the other two entrances have been sealed. One was located behind the Westmount building and the other was located in another chalk pit in Tower Hamlets, where the houses of 'The Abbots' road are now located. According to ARP records of the time, the shelter was designed to accommodate just over 1,000 people. Some wartime photos still remain of people sheltering in these tunnels as well as many dated etchings on the chalk walls.

And now some pics

winchelsea033.jpg

winchelsea022.jpg
winchelsea002.jpg

winchelsea025.jpg

winchelsea027.jpg

winchelsea015.jpg

winchelsea014.jpg

winchelsea012.jpg

winchelsea011.jpg

winchelsea007.jpg

winchelsea036.jpg

winchelsea040.jpg

Thanks for looking and thanks to Stealth for saving me from having to go it solo lol:)

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details