Web
Analytics
Report - - Windlestone Hall - Rushyford, County Durham - June 2020 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Windlestone Hall - Rushyford, County Durham - June 2020

SJR78

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is the second time I've visited Windlestone Hall as its local to me but unfortunately on each visit I've not been able to get inside the building due to metal coverings on the windows.
Windlestone Hall has so much history behind it and I'm fascinated by it. It's so sad that it's been left to deteriorate over the years when it was once a stunning house with spectacular gardens.

Built in 1835 by English architect Ignatius Bonomi for the Eden family. This Grade ll building was the birthplace of Anthony Eden born in 1897, who went on to serve as British prime minister from 1955 to 1957. His second wife was the niece of Sir Winston Churchill.

Windlestone Hall was used as a prisoner of war camp during WW2.

From 1957 to 2006 it was a local authority residential special school.

In 2011 Durham County Council sold the property for £240,000 to William Davenport. 3 years later Mr Davenport put the property back on the market for £2,500,000. He was jailed in 2016 for using forged documents to acquire a mortgage.
As of now the property is back in the hands of Durham County Council.
20200615134423_IMG_0201.JPG
20200615134430_IMG_0202.JPG
20200615134414_IMG_0200.JPG

Attachments

mockney reject

Chief Goon
Staff member
Could you add a date of visit and a location please ?

Thanks

MR

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Unfortunately a few pikeys were caught the other night doing the usual, as far as I've heard it's got security back on now.
Hopefully it can be restored to its former glory.

SJR78

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Unfortunately a few pikeys were caught the other night doing the usual, as far as I've heard it's got security back on now.
Hopefully it can be restored to its former glory.
I was there on Monday and there was no sign of security

SJR78

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You usually have to do it i the first 24 hours, I can do it for you though
Sorry I'm new to the site so still finding my feet. I visited the property on Monday 15 th June 2020. It's situated at Rushyford, County Durham. Let me know if you need any further information. Also it's only showing 3 photo's but I uploaded quite a few. Thanks

mockney reject

Chief Goon
Staff member
Sorry I'm new to the site so still finding my feet. I visited the property on Monday 15 th June 2020. It's situated at Rushyford, County Durham. Let me know if you need any further information. Also it's only showing 3 photo's but I uploaded quite a few. Thanks

Consider it done

John.Wolfe1872

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's open again. Back window ground floor just watch the razor wire or go through the cellar entrance next to it.