real time web analytics
Winnington Soda Ash Works, Cheshire - April 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Winnington Soda Ash Works, Cheshire - April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
While working as an office manager at Hutchinson in Widnes in the 1860s, John Tomlinson Brunner met Ludwig Mond, who was also working there as a chemist. Mond decided to leave and establish a factory to produce alkali by the ammonia-soda process. Brunner joined as a partner. The factory at Winnington opened in 1873, and in time Brunner Mond & Co. Ltd became the largest producer of soda in the world.

winnington-soda-ash-works-1.jpg

Brunner Mond merged with several other leading chemical companies to form Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) in 1926. Winnington Works manufactured sodium carbonate (soda ash) and its various by-products such as sodium bicarbonate (bicarbonate of soda), and sodium sesquicarbonate. It was at the laboratories on this site that polythene was discovered by accident in 1933 during experiments into high pressure reactions.

The Winnington Works were divested to the newly formed company, Brunner Mond, in 1991. It was again sold in 2006, to Tata and in 2011 was re branded as Tata Chemicals Europe. Soda ash and calcium chloride production ceased at the Winnington plant in February 2014, bringing to a close 140 years of soda ash production in Northwich. The head office and the sodium bicarbonate plant remain at Winnington.

Rotary Dissolvers

winnington-soda-ash-works-5.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-9.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-6.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-4.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-12.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-10.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-8.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-15.jpg

Heavy Ash Mixers

winnington-soda-ash-works-18.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-21.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-17.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-22.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-23.jpg

Heavy Ash Secheurs
These were used to dry the finished product

winnington-soda-ash-works-25.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-28.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-24.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-26.jpg

Looking around the buildings a bit more, we find a filtration plant

winnington-soda-ash-works-32.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-38.jpg

As a lover of anything control-roomy I got excited to see this sign...

winnington-soda-ash-works-36.jpg

And was pretty disapointed to find only this inside.

winnington-soda-ash-works-33.jpg

External shots

winnington-soda-ash-works-43.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-39.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-41.jpg

Statues of John Tomlinson Brunner and Ludwig Mond stand either side of the entrance to Mond House, the company headquarters.​

And finally....

I had a brief look around this substation and pretty much dismissed it until at the last moment I noticed "System Control Room" above a door that opens to nowhere. Realising this was previously connected to the now-demolished power station, I made a bit more of an effort.

IMG_20160430_190108.jpg

Once I got inside my jaw dropped. The old control panels more than made up for the crappy control room in the main works.

winnington-soda-ash-works-45.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-46.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-47.jpg

winnington-soda-ash-works-49.jpg

Last edited:

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Arghhh why is when we go somewhere we always miss the good bits, got to go back now. Simply amazing report mate.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I must say those are superb photo,s that first one made my jaw drop and things continued in the same vein well done have to agree with jst a professional delivery indeed.

Who has read this thread (Total: 160) View details