Web
Analytics
Report - - Winstanley Hall, Wigan (Preston Meet part two) - April 2014 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Winstanley Hall, Wigan (Preston Meet part two) - April 2014

Idle Hands

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Winstanley Hall

Visited with Bigjobs, Paradox, Albino-jay and his two mates to round off a thoroughly enjoyable Preston meet. This one was a walk in the park compared to the start of the day, with just one comedy moment of us all diving into the bushes at the sound of a passing tractor.

One of only three Tudor buildings left in the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan, the 16th century Winstanley Hall was Grade II* listed in 1966 but a sad decline has led to it sitting silently rotting in overgrown grounds on a hilltop overlooking Wigan in the distance. It is a designated Scheduled Ancient Monument, symbolising its importance on a national level. Construction dates vary depending on what you read but the suggestion on the listing document is that it was built around 1573 for the Winstanleys; a family that sold the estate in 1596 after a tenure that had lasted over 400 years. The new owner was London goldsmith James Bankes, whose family owned it for the next 400 years until it was sold to a local developer in 2000.

The core of the three storey Elizabethan Hall can still be found today, though it has been extensively modified in the centuries that followed - most notably between 1811-1819 by Lewis Wyatt, whose other notable works in the locale include Lyme Park and Heaton Park. Wyatt was responsible for the replacement of the original gables with the parapet you see today, as well as the new entrance tower complete with portico.

Datestone_zps06d9a712.jpg

Externalpropped_zps8ff0e3f1.jpg
Portico_zpsf02f5d30.jpg

The fine cantilevered staircase rising from the entrance hall was also his work, though this has recently succumbed to gravity and sits in a heap, the twisted balustrade hanging in the air with far less finesse than it was ever intended.

Stairbelow_zps717a6970.jpg
Stairlevel_zpsff9bc72c.jpg

Firstlandingfrombelow_zps2c1eed83.jpg

The Hall has now been unoccupied for around 30 years. Enabling work to convert the building into flats hinged on further building on the surrounding green belt land but the scheme was refused permission by Wigan council, prompting its descent into a state of dereliction.

In 2011 English Heritage were on the verge of agreeing to the demolition of Winstanley Hall and some of its outbuildings when SAVE Britain’s Heritage took an interest and negotiated a reprieve. EH have agreed to grant £160,000 towards immediate repairs to the stable blocks but fundraising is underway to support the scheme.

Pictures:
It was late in the day and the flimsy travel tripod I’d brought was about as sturdy
under the weight of my camera as the Winstanley floors were under my feet.
Here’s a selection of passable hand-held shots taken at high ISO…

The Drawing Room, with its ornate fireplace and coving depicting the motifs of the Hall, alluded to a former grandeur that’s fading fast. Bell pushes remain, as does the bell indicator round the back.

DrawingRoom_zpsde7c889f.jpg

Fireplace_zps04b58abb.jpg

Bellpush_zps1a105b61.jpg

Bellindicator_zpsa8be9e65.jpg

Carefully making our way up to the first floor the precarious condition of the building became even more apparent. Whole sections had collapsed right through.

Internaldrop_zps5834189e.jpg

Firstlanding_zpsc711e891.jpg

Radiator_zps2d4c13a3.jpg

Roomhalfgone_zps51cd9afa.jpg

Paneling_zpseec43acb.jpg

Windowredroom_zpse7909bc2.jpg

Up to the second floor we went treading ever more carefully, one at a time on floors displaying less and less structural integrity the higher we got…

Secondstair_zps1c17b579.jpg

Darkwindow_zpse4a6a33d.jpg

One final push and we got to the top and onto the roof. Looking out across the roof you can see the stable blocks, with Wigan glowing in the evening sun on the horizon.

Roofvista2_zps2654dab7.jpg

Roofapex_zps16f11c37.jpg

Rearroof_zpsb03e86fb.jpg

Meyrick Bankes’ grand stable blocks were built around an ornate courtyard in the 1830s in a variety of eccentric styles. The eccentricity didn’t end with the architecture either; a series of ornate statues included William Spence’s Neptune in the centre of the courtyard, and one building was used to house dancing bears that were kept for the amusement of visitors.

Stabletower_zps66b142a9.jpg

Stablewindow_zps5fe92221.jpg

Stablearch_zps43a45b85.jpg

Housefromstableyard_zps64bb0afb.jpg

And with that, we were done. A great day out and worth all the muscle aches and pains that stopped me doing anything too strenuous in the days that followed. Thanks to Bigjobs and Paradox for dropping me back at the station, and to everyone else that was there on the day.

Here’s to next time. :)​

Paradox

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Awesome pics there Idle Hands and nicely written report - was a fun day out even with the new bruises lol

Idle Hands

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks all :thumb

Awesome pics there Idle Hands and nicely written report - was a fun day out even with the new bruises lol
Certainly was fun :) I wish I'd brought a decent tripod with me... I'm sure you'll have better pictures!

Jobs said the place had suffered badly in recent years, it's a disgrace how they have left it to rot in such a spectacular way :mad
True that... listing or no listing, it's hard to imagine how much of this can be salvaged now unless it's dismantled and rebuilt...

Paradox

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks all :thumb

Certainly was fun :) I wish I'd brought a decent tripod with me... I'm sure you'll have better pictures!
Lol trust me I definitely don't! Some going up in a few mins, many are similar in composition to yours just not as nice - I had a tripod I just forgot to use it!!!! :p:

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
Lovely pictures there mate :)

albino-jay

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great pics and a great write up. It is such a shame when beautiful old buildings are left to get so bad. Will not be long at all till it collapses completely