real time web analytics
Report - - Winwick Hospital, Warrington - May 2007 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Winwick Hospital, Warrington - May 2007

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

peterc4

28DL Member
28DL Member
this was my first urbex at winick hospital in may 2007, i was the last person to set foot in it as demolition started in the afternoon after i left

The first public hospital for the care of the mentally ill was opened in 1766 when the Manchester Infirmary was extended to allow the admission of "Poor Lunaticks". The hospital was moved to Cheadle in 1850 and later became Cheadle Royal.
By the mid-nineteenth century, three public asylums had been built in Lancashire: at Lancaster, Rainhill and Prestwich. In 1894 Lancashire Asylums Board commissioned a new asylum to be built on the 207 acre Winwick Rectory Estate north of Warrington, Lancashire. Work started in 1896, and pending its completion it was agreed to convert Old Winwick Hall - previously home to the Rector of Winwick - into a home for accommodation of about 50 'idiot boys'. Winwick Hall opened in 1897 and Winwick Asylum - later Winwick Hospital - opened in 1902 at a cost of £383,000. About 1905 Old Winwick Hall was demolished and later replaced with a new building, also known as Winwick Hall.

By the time of the First World War the hospital housed 2,160 patients. Almost all of these were transferred to other asylums when it became a military hospital - the Lord Derby War Hospital*. Between 1915 and 1920 some 56,000 wounded soldiers were treated there, and the hospital began to resume its original purpose in 1921.

The Mental Treatment Act of 1930 revised the Lunacy Laws, replacing the term 'asylum' with 'mental hospital', permitting voluntary admission for treatment, and introducing psychiatric out-patient clinics. This marked significant progress for Winwick along with other asylums throughout the country.

winnick-1.jpg

winnick-2.jpg

winnick-3.jpg

winnick-4.jpg

winnick-6.jpg

winnick5.jpg

winnick-7.jpg

winnick-8.jpg

winnick-9.jpg

Last edited:

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Used to drive past this on the way to work every day back in the early 2000's. Interesting to see what was inside. All that's left now is the clock tower surrounded by new build houses I think.