real time web analytics
Question - - Wireless shutter release recommendations | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Wireless shutter release recommendations

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
I want to have a play around with bulb mode. Had a remote release a while back but it was a bit flaky. Batteries didn't last long but that might of been down to me not taking them out for for long periods of inactivity. I'd like one where the remote takes a simple AAA or something. Hate those tiny and expensive cr123 cr3 batteries, although I might not have as much with the receiver part of the kit.
What the old one did have was an hotshoe on top of the receiver so you could still mount an external flash. I'd still like to keep that function.
It's to fit a canon 5d mark3. Don't want to spend more tha £50 if I can help it.

Cheers in advance.

tigger

mog
Regular User
With cable or without cable?
Just shutter release or full control?

There are several apps for windows/ios/android that work with cables or with wifi and all come in at well under £50
Features vary from simple release to full control with display and touch screen focus.
If you want to keep things seperate from your phone (or tablet type computer) then companies like yongnuo and neewer both make a range of suitable wireless devices that can be built to quite an advanced control system for shutter and strobe lights. These have the advantage of greater operational ranges but cost a bit more. I'd guess around £50 for a controller/receiver pair. You can add extra receivers and control multiple groups of multiple lights whilst still allowing full TTL metering/zoom (on suitable lights).

I used youngnuo YN622N receivers and a YN622NTX (Canon versions would be 622C ) for shutter release and strobe control for several years though now use Cactus equivalents as they allow me to do the same with different strobe makes (ie. I can use friends strobes in caves insttead of carrying all my own kit!).

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Thanks tigger. I should of said wireless instead of remote(I'll change the heading)
Just need it to perform the same functions as the shutter release on the camera. I won't be using it as a slave for other devices.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Yongnnuo (and all the oddly named variants) make a wireless shutter release which works with all of the normal shutter controls but from memory (a friend used one on his 5DIII) the receiver occupied the hotshoe and didn't have a passthrough. He used the receiver fastened onto his tripod with hook and loop tape so the hotshoe remained free. Whilst not pretty it did the job when I convinced him to try some underground photography.
I know he paid around £30 for it via an online river site so that would be within budget

tigger

mog
Regular User
I'd go the extra few quid for one that has timer etc. built in as the funcionality can be handy (say you want to do some star trails or capture pictues of all the spooky stuff I have never seen).
Otherwise, yes, that ought to do the job.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I know what you're saying. I wouldn't necessarily need a wireless one for just BULB mode. I'd like the versatility of automatically focusing away from the camera and for other modes of shooting too.

I did buy myself one off Amazon, just went with reviews. Was for wildlife photography, leave the camera and sit a fair distance away. Worked well, will see if I can find the make / model. Think it cost around £30, you end up with a receiver which slots onto the hotshoe (flash) and a handheld remote, off the top of head about a 30m range.

DaddyBear92

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My recommendation would be to get an intervalometer. Most have bulb mode support and some like mine even work to release the shutter when they're switched off. Some have extra functions, I use mine for many things, even star photography.

Now, get a cheap one too, because they will break, I'd rather keep replacing one for 10 quid instead of paying 30 and it still always breaks, well if you use it anyway. Example in the link to amazon. Don't know if it's good for you, I use a Nikon, so you'll have to check if they fit your canon of course, but I tried to get it close.