real time web analytics
Report - - Withcall Tunnel - Lincolnshire - December 2021 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Withcall Tunnel - Lincolnshire - December 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m4dd13z666

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The history :
Opened 1876
Closed 1956
971 yards long.

Work on Withcall Tunnel got underway in January 1852 with the driving of a 10 foot heading through sandstone and chalk.

The Louth & Lincoln Railway’s original plan was for a bore of 803 yards but this was extended to 971 yards when a revised route was authorised.

Construction was beset by problems with bad weather causing frequent delays.
In October 1874, a deluge of water washed navvies out of the tunnel.
A month later, bricklayers went on strike because their hands were being scalded by wet lime.
And December saw the death of a workman who was struck by a wagon.

The first goods train passed through the tunnel on 26th June 1876, with passenger traffic starting in the following December.

The Tunnel is straight but no light can be seen at the other end because the summit of this part of the line is located around 300 yards in from the eastern portal.

The climb up to and within the tunnel (1 in 54) often caused difficulties in wet conditions some locomotives required two or more attempts to reach the top.
Smoke could become so dense that the footplate crew would kneel on the floor, covering their faces with wet handkerchiefs.

An oversight by the architect resulted in no refuges being constructed an unusual and potentially dangerous feature for a tunnel of this length.

Today, the portals are bricked up but doorways are provided for access.
Although wet at its western end, Withcall Tunnel remains in excellent condition despite a 50 year absence of regular maintenance.
The last train passed through on 17th September 1956.

The Explore: Myself and @Doug Judy checked this tunnel out earlier in the year but neither end was accessible.
I was passing again so decided to have another look, luck was on my side because it was open.
The local farmer however did turn up and ask what we was doing and had we cut the lock (aparently he's been having a lot of trouble with people doing that recently).
Bit abrupt at first but he didn't know who or how many of us there were so completely understood him.
After a half hour chat about all sorts he accepted it wasn't us who cut the lock and agreed to let us continue.
He was a lovely guy.
So on we went.

The pictures:

The Eastern portal.

We think this carried a cable for a signal outside the tunnel? Please inform me if you know.

Some lovely yellows in there.

Was very dry underfoot but water was dripping in from above as you can just make out in this picture.

There was also patches of water spraying out of the walls.
Guess the drainage still works well.

It was quite a foggy tunnel in places making my attempts to picture it harder.

Someone has also suggested a gong?

Lovely coloured section this was.

Looking towards the Eastern Portal

Looking at the Western Portal

Bit closer. There is no way out (or in) this end.

And that is why.. Huge pile of rubble tipped against the access door.

Looking towards the Eastern end, where we entered.

You can really see the fog all gethered together at the top in this photo.

I do love the colours found in tunnels.

And that's all, not overly loads to picture, mostly a very good condition dry tunnel with some lovely coloured sections.

Hope you enjoyed.

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent collection of images, Pity we didn’t get in back during our visit but one I’ll get done in 2022 might have to slip the farmer £10 for an hour in the tunnel ;) , Love the old signalling equipment and the water spraying through the brickwork.

m4dd13z666

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent collection of images, Pity we didn’t get in back during our visit but one I’ll get done in 2022 might have to slip the farmer £10 for an hour in the tunnel ;) , Love the old signalling equipment and the water spraying through the brickwork.
Yeah pretty gutting after the wet walking, fence climbing and greeting of wild animals in the woods we did.. But hey all a part of the adventure :p.

He's a lovely guy, he said ask in future so best of luck :D.

Should come with you.. I need a lesson in how to get soft moving water shots you taught me the ropes so figured I'm due another lesson ;)