real time web analytics
Report - - Witney Boxing Club, Oxfordshire, June 2018 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Witney Boxing Club, Oxfordshire, June 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

123strongbow

28DL Member
28DL Member
Alright guys, this is my first ever post on here, and this is a place in my home town that i thought was pretty cool.

History:
There's not much history i could find about this place, but here's the little amount of info i could scrape up.
The boxing club was formed around mid 1980's and was in this building until the floods of July 2007 which caused such damage to the building that it was condemned by the local council.
this then forced the club and all of it's member to move to a different location (which is now a large warehouse on an industrial estate).
But during it's heyday it was a very popular with the local kids and adults, it was more of a social hub for the residents than just a boxing club.

Well that's all the history on the place i could find.
Here's some photos from the explore.

This is the main room in the boxing club, which is where i assume the ring would of been.
DSC_0365.JPG

Some photos on the wall of former members or famous boxers at the time i'm not really sure.
DSC_0367.JPG

Sign for the membership fees nearly 15 years ago now. Not sure why they had this up from 2003 when the building closed 4 years later.
DSC_0368.JPG

Here is the main room facing the opposite direction, the forklift is a strange addition to an otherwise fairly normal room.
DSC_0369.JPG

Still wondering how on earth this thing got in here and why. Planned demolition that never happened perhaps?
DSC_0364.JPG

Unfortunately some little shits had smeared some strange blue sticky substance all over the seat and controls.
DSC_0366.JPG

Here's the rafters of the room whilst sat on the roof of the forklift (pretty solid piece of equipment that, sad to see it sat rusting in here).
DSC_0370.JPG

Nice notice board.
DSC_0371.JPG

Well this concludes my first post on here, hope you enjoyed i will be posting more in the future, but this is quite difficult because there are absolutely naff all abandoned places in Oxfordshire
when i do stubble upon another one i'll make another report. But for now that's all folks.

All photos taken with Nikon D5000 and Nikkor 28-100mm lens
thanks again, see ya

TudgeJ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oxfordshire, in particular Witney, is typically poor for abandoned places and this is a good example of one that still remains!

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Seem to remember one of my teachers was a member of that club in the early 80's.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Oxfordshire, in particular Witney, is typically poor for abandoned places and this is a good example of one that still remains!

Tell me about it, it's possibly the worst county in the UK for explores. The land is simply too expensive around here and gets snapped up instantly most of the time.

Oxford itself used to have all sorts of stuff back when the crash happened at the end of the 00s, but sadly it's all long gone now.

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
seem to recall summat interesting along the A40 between Witney and Burford, its been done before but worth a poke!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
seem to recall summat interesting along the A40 between Witney and Burford, its been done before but worth a poke!

Windrush Heights Hotel, the infamous half finished bombed out shell of a building. Was ruined eight years back when I did it haha.

TudgeJ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Windrush Heights Hotel, the infamous half finished bombed out shell of a building. Was ruined eight years back when I did it haha.
Visited this place a few times, not much more than graffiti to be seen there though:( The Leafield Technical Centre will always be by far the best Oxfordshire location.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
The Leafield Technical Centre will always be by far the best Oxfordshire location.

I disagree, Great Tew Manor is by far the best location in Oxfordshire, not that there is much competition these days.

Arguably the best Oxfordshire locations of all time were the Radcliffe Infirmary and RAF Upper Heyford, thankfully back in the day I got around almost all of Upper Heyford over the years but only managed the older listed part of the RI as most of it was demolished before I got into exploring.

TudgeJ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I disagree, Great Tew Manor is by far the best location in Oxfordshire, not that there is much competition these days.

Arguably the best Oxfordshire locations of all time were the Radcliffe Infirmary and RAF Upper Heyford, thankfully back in the day I got around almost all of Upper Heyford over the years but only managed the older listed part of the RI as most of it was demolished before I got into exploring.

I supposed my opinion was biased as I've never got round to visiting Great Tew Manor! Have you heard of RAF Upper Rissington?

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I supposed my opinion was biased as I've never got round to visiting Great Tew Manor! Have you heard of RAF Upper Rissington?

Rissington is all gone now sadly, last bits were demolished or converted a couple of years back. Never did get inside the officers mess there.

TudgeJ

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Rissington is all gone now sadly, last bits were demolished or converted a couple of years back. Never did get inside the officers mess there.

I remember when I last headed there, nothing more than a building site. Sad that I never accessed the inside of the building too, although I know a few that did.