real time web analytics
Report - - Woburn House, Co. Down, June 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Woburn House, Co. Down, June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jh1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was my first foray into urbex, other than the 'missions' we set ourselves as kids. As such, it was a bit of a disaster, but not entirely. The site is quite large and has served various purposes over the years, there are two main buildings to visit here and infact it was my intention to look at the other, more modern one but it had been secured and then re-secured after what seems like half the country visited it between 2017 and 2019.

Woburn is the oldest of the buildings on site, another page has the following to say about it;

'WOBURN HOUSE, near Millisle, County Down, is a large and imposing two-storey Italianate mansion.
The present house was built in ca 1865, to designs by John McCurdy of Dublin, for the then owner of the Woburn estate, George Orr Dunbar.
The house remained with the Pack-Beresfords until the 1950s, when the burden of death duties forced Reynell James's son, Arthur Reynell Pack-Beresford, to put the property up for sale.
In 1956, Woburn House was bought by the Northern Ireland Ministry of Finance and converted to a boys' borstal.
In more recent times the property has become a training centre for prison officers.
During both of these recent incarnations the house has been progressively extended, modernized, and adapted to serve its new functions.
The immediate grounds around it have been developed also and they now contain many modern dwellings and other more functional looking structures.'

Part of its history and the adjoining buildings was covered extensively in the HIA inquiry, you can find them listed under Woburn House and Lisnevin.

I arrived and made my way in. Disappointed that I couldn't get in the 'modern' building I decided to dander a little further and see what I could find. I realised early on that I had made a big mistake, the whole point of visiting was to try my new camera, and I had forgotten my SD card. After satisfying myself that there was no easy way into where I wanted I gained access to the older 'compound' which wasn't difficult and checked some of the outbuildings for access, no joy. I identified an access point in the main building and this being my first explore paced back and forth for a few minutes weighing up my options and wether or not I was going to go for it. Some slight contortion later and I was in. I spent the next hour or so looking about and finally being awestruck when I reached the top of the tower at the front at sunset. Satisfied, I made my departure but spotted someone in the site as I was heading down the stairs, I gave it a few minutes, got out, and as I approached the final gate walked head on into 'security.' To be fair he was alright, reminded me it was private property but when I explained what I was doing he was relatively OK but clearly considered himself some sort of custodian of the site as he advised he'd be taking a picture of my number plate. Since I'd nothing to hide I said I'd tell him what it was to save him the hassle of going round to my car but he didn't take it and I did see him as I got back. The fact he was walking around with a hammer, had no sort of uniform, and i'm almost certain he was driving a taxi, made me realise he was just a busy body. He was infront of me as I drove away and turned back into the site where the officers houses have been recently redeveloped, so I presume he's a resident there.

Anyway enough waffling, here are some pretty poor iPhone pictures and a GoPro video where my card filled up minutes before the security situation so your all spared listening to me talk shite and acting innocent. The vid is a private listing available only to those with a Link, please don't repost it.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
The photos were nothing like I expected. Being originally a early 19th century mansion, then turned into a borstal & then training centre. It shows very little sign of ever being a mansion. I see you have a vid up. Was that shot by you? Its a shame the outside looks so good and ornate but to be turned into this, thats disappointing

jh1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The photos were nothing like I expected. Being originally a early 19th century mansion, then turned into a borstal & then training centre. It shows very little sign of ever being a mansion. I see you have a vid up. Was that shot by you? Its a shame the outside looks so good and ornate but to be turned into this, thats disappointing

There is one single room which is quite ornate, I didn't post a picture of it because another person who has explored it got a decent photo and I couldn't better it with my phone. For me the highlight was the sunset from the tower at the front, totally unexpected. Im curious too if it was ever particularly ornate, it seems strange that anyone would remove such features to facilitate the later uses of the building....

I did shoot the vid, I've recorded most of the other places I've looked at also but not done anything with the footage because I've gotten better pics, I felt the photos for Woburn weren't quite good enough to post on their own.

jh1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very nice report. U have a few duplicate pics in there but otherwise excellent work
ah that's annoying sorry about that, I had a bit of a mare uploading with the site saying they had failed and I don't seem to be able to edit the post anymore I guess there is a 24 hour limit on edits or something. Maybe a friendly moderator could remove the duplicates?

Thanks everyone for the kind words so far I was a bit worried about posting a vid.

Urbex_NI

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
aww man, you went all the way there and didnt go into the prison? or did you, it's a fantastic complex...

jh1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
aww man, you went all the way there and didnt go into the prison? or did you, it's a fantastic complex...
It's the closest place I've looked at, unfortunately it wasnt accessible. original entrance covered in rubble, and alternatives nearby blocked. Hardware was recent and half of NI has been in so ive seen plenty of photos anyway. Don't get me wrong, ill go for a look but you cant see the sunset from the prison....

Last edited:

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
Walk away from or past your car next time, no point giving these people your number plate for free.

Lots of nice bits in there though, shame you didnt get in next door, maybe next time. A nice sunset makes for some great shots.

Urbex_NI

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's the closest place I've looked at, unfortunately it wasnt accessible. original entrance covered in rubble, and alternatives nearby blocked. Hardware was recent and half of NI has been in so ive seen plenty of photos anyway. Don't get me wrong, ill go for a look but you cant see the sunset from the prison....

yes i had heard rumours about the rubble over the main enterance...shame...havent been down in a while, if you can access it you will not be dissapointed!