real time web analytics
Report - - Wolsey Knitwear (Sangra) Leicester | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wolsey Knitwear (Sangra) Leicester

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have admired this building for as long as I have been exploring in Leicester, and it was finally cracked by the Leicester guys this week (Nice work fellas)

The company had more than one factory in Leicester, you may remember one of the others from my previous reports, with its distinctive chimney with "WOLSEY" spelt in glazed bricks. The chimney and a small tower is now all that remains of that site.

Now this one too is earmarked for demolition. It is a pity, as it has a handsome facade, which has a ceramic head of Cardinal Wolsey on the front, which is a bit of a local landmark. I am very surprised it is coming down tbh.

The inside of the works, or what you could get in was very stripped. It seems Wolsey vacated a few years ago and the works had been carved up into units. Only a few knitting machines had survived. Annoyingly, a large section of the works was not explorable because a tunnel joining two buildings was breeze blocked off:(

The works boasts a fine brick water tower with iron tank... and having conqured most of the water towers in the city I set out to add this one to my list.

The ladder was ridiculous. It was so un-erganomic it hurts. It was as if someone had said "put a ladder up that tower" and whoever erected it had not put an ounce of thought as to how the climber would get off the ladder and into the tank. I am a size 30" waste and I could not get through the handrails without turning to one side and balancing on one knee, not pleasant at that height!

The water tank had at one time had a wooden top, but this was long rotted through, so I had to stand in the tank to take my photos! The struggle was worth it though for cracking views over the city.

wolseyq1of20.jpg

wolseyq19of20.jpg

wolseyq18of20.jpg

wolseyq10of20.jpg

wolseyq11of20.jpg

wolseyq12of20.jpg

wolseyq13of20.jpg

wolseyq14of20.jpg

wolseyq15of20.jpg

wolseyq16of20.jpg

wolseyq17of20.jpg

wolseyq2of20.jpg

wolseyq20of20.jpg

wolseyq3of20.jpg

wolseyq4of20.jpg

wolseyq5of20.jpg

wolseyq6of20.jpg

wolseyq7of20.jpg

wolseyq8of20.jpg

wolseyq9of20.jpg

V

Violet

Hey all!

Wolsey is still going, but all its stock is now imported from china & turkey. it mmoved to a featureless 1970's unit in Thurmaston, fromt eh site at Abbey Meadows (where the wolsey chimney is) to there in 2004.

i know this because i work for Wolsey, and am stood in that 1970's building using their interwebs :thumb

from speaking to people who worked at Abbey Meadows it was falling to peices while they were still there, the roof leaked quite badly.

still such a pretty building though :)

V

Violet

Heya!

Not alot here, but thought Dweeb might be interested in this, its a painting i found in our storeroom, depicting the Abbey Meadows factory

media1-27.jpg

(please excuse the Poor quality, it was taken on my phone :eek: )

xXx

V

Violet

hehehe thought you might :)

at this very moment its sitting in the lift room doing Nothing.

though i think it might be going into our newly redecorated 'showroom'
(decoration for which i've described as 'looking like an abandoned school')

every now & again i come across either old advertising or things like that :)

xXx