real time web analytics
Report - - Wolverhampton Royal Hospital, April 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wolverhampton Royal Hospital, April 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
This is one of the few sections left of the Wolverhampton Royal Hospital. The wing was built in 1937 it contained the following depmartments:

Basement: Occupational Therapy, Swimming Pool, Instrument Curator.

Ground 1st Floor: Graham Adams, Scott / Twentyman, Harper Millar wards.

2nd and 3rd Floors: Sheldon / Langley wards.

4th Floor: Maxillo-Facial Surgery.

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/articles/RoyalHospital/RoyalHospital.htm

The whole site was closed in 1997. Tescos now own it and according to their masterplan the plan to use the existing entrance building as a front for their store. The older Nurses building is also still standing. I don't see room for this building on their new plan so I wonder why it still stands.

http://www.tescowolverhampton.co.uk/masterplan.html

Visited with donebythehands. With a big thanks to mother nature for allowing us access.

IMG_8922.jpg

IMG_8731.jpg

IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8687.jpg

IMG_8590.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg
IMG_8747.jpg

IMG_8836.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg
IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

IMG_8756.jpg

IMG_8691.jpg

IMG_8625.jpg

Roof pictures.
IMG_8787.jpg

IMG_8784.jpg

IMG_8790.jpg

IMG_8834.jpg

IMG_8812.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8810.jpg

Basement swimming pool.
IMG_8842.jpg

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8888.jpg

IMG_8866.jpg

IMG_8886.jpg
IMG_8882.jpg

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8898.jpg

Last edited:

Agent57

28DL Member
28DL Member
Sorry to revive an old topic BUT do any of you know how to get into the underground tunnels that connect to the church, courts, civic etc I was in the hospital as a child and found the tunnels and signs to these places. Any info about where these come out would be great.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Sorry to revive an old topic BUT do any of you know how to get into the underground tunnels that connect to the church, courts, civic etc I was in the hospital as a child and found the tunnels and signs to these places. Any info about where these come out would be great.

@Agent57, why not go out and have a look? You'll find that someone who has never posted to the forum before won't be given access info. Blah Blah Blah.

Great photos @TranKmasT, even if it is 3 years old.

A man called Martyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If folks had found a subway at The Royal it would have received some coverage in any of the threads about This hospital. Another Wolverhampton tunnel story is the service tunnel linking New Cross hospital with The Royal. This tunnel exists entirely in the imagination of NHS nurses. The steam pipes from the boiler house at the Royal may have being underground, but no pictures in any threads of any such service tunnels, so they won't have being anything to get excited over.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There was a good sized stone tunnel with rooms off one side of it below the main corridor in the neo classical portion of the building. It was a handsome basement for sure, but didn't go anywhere.

Another example of a nurse going down there to get a crutch or whatever and seeing that it goes for some way ahead, and before you know it "there was miles of tunnels there was...."

The exception of course is Longbridge!

Agent57

28DL Member
28DL Member
There was a good sized stone tunnel with rooms off one side of it below the main corridor in the neo classical portion of the building. It was a handsome basement for sure, but didn't go anywhere.

Thank you all for the reply, yes thats where i remember the entrance down some steps. when i was a child i got down there and it was like a maze..... there was 4 golf cars down there as well but i turned back b4 getting lost.
A Civic worker who retired who I new told me that it was all linked up to the Secret bunker under the "Civic Center" car park so the selected Proffesionals could get there incase of attack, Another access point is/was from the lowest elevator in the car park but you need a key to get any further down. There are vents that come up out the floor but they seem to have no function. I have been told that most of these tunnels have been bricked up.

BTW I have no friends that would even beleve me if i wanted to go and have a look.. hint hint.