real time web analytics
Report - - Woodford Aerodrome Cheshire - November 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Woodford Aerodrome Cheshire - November 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Vitrionix

28DL Member
28DL Member
My first explore and post here.

History

Woodford Aerodrome was opened by Avro in 1924 and became a hugely important site for aircraft construction in the north west of England. Conditions at the airfield during the early years were basic but the site expanded over time with production peaking during the Second World War. The temporary hangars were replaced by a complex of permanent hangars in the southern corner of the site which were known as Flight Sheds.

The New Assembly facility off Chester Road was completed in 1939 to cope with the increased demands of wartime production and is where the assembly of over 4,000 Avro Lancaster bombers were completed. The main runway was lengthened in the early 1950s to accommodate the new Vulcan nuclear jet-powered bomber which Avro was developing as a response to the Cold War.

Avro was absorbed into Hawker Siddeley in 1963 and production continued at Woodford with the Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft and 748 commercial airliner. British Aerospace took over the running of Woodford in 1977 and production of the ATP and BAe 146 airliners followed. The site closed in 2011 when the Nimrod MRA4 was controversially cancelled and the airframes were sold for scrap.

The Flight Sheds hangars and various outbuildings remain standing in the oldest part of the airfield but the rest of the factory has been demolished. The buildings have been extensively vandalised and some are being used to store rubble from the demolition work. Half of the main runway survives and a section of the old perimeter track but the rest has been torn up. A housing estate is being built on the site and there is also a museum which is open at the weekend.

MBAT (16 of 133).jpg

From right to left: Hangar 1, Hangar 2, Hangar 3 & Hangar 5​

As I approach the old hangars my mind wanders to a time when legendary aircraft such as the Lancaster and Vulcan bombers shared the same tarmac I'm standing on. The wind rustles the burnished autumnal leaves of stunted trees which have stubbornly pushed through the flight apron. No other sounds disturb the silence as I make my way to the crumbling pre-war buildings of a once proud British industry.

MBAT (130 of 185).jpg

My first port of call is the supersonic wind tunnel, the monsterous roar it used to emit now replaced by the creaking of a loose shutter. Water trickles down the peeling walls and my footsteps echo in unison with the dripping water.

MBAT (3 of 133).jpg
MBAT (6 of 133).jpg

Making my way back outside, I'm drawn to a huge chimney standing tall amongst the desolation. Its reflection is cast in the sodden ground and proud stance mimicked by the dead thistles rising up all around. Inside, rusted pipes wriggle across the walls like the intestines of some metallic monster.

MBAT (142 of 185).jpg

MBAT (100 of 133).jpg

MBAT (93 of 133).jpg

Dusty corridors lead through the gloom and open into vast hangars, empty but full of memories.

MBAT (52 of 133).jpg

MBAT (49 of 133).jpg

MBAT (78 of 133).jpg

MBAT (46 of 133).jpg

MBAT (61 of 133).jpg

Huddled together, these hangars would have once bustled with a workforce numbering in thousands which worked tirelessly to meet the RAF's demands for heavy bombers. Shunned by its brothers, the largest hangar stands alone and the smell of aviation fuel fills my nostrils as I step inside.

MBAT (130 of 133).jpg

MBAT (87 of 185).jpg

MBAT (105 of 185).jpg

Tucked away behind the main hangars is the old paint shop, I disturb a fox as it skulks across the rubble beneath the imposing ATP letters emblazoned on the wall.

MBAT (80 of 185).jpg

A supporting cast of smaller buildings are clustered up against the main hangars.

MBAT (54 of 185).jpg

MBAT (66 of 185).jpg

MBAT (10 of 185).jpg

Weirdly, most of the aircraft relics are strewn across one of the old canteens.

MBAT (113 of 133).jpg

MBAT (105 of 133).jpg

MBAT (107 of 133).jpg

PA02 was the second Nimrod MRA4

MBAT (111 of 133).jpg

With the light fading I headed to the Clubhouse, a place where important guests were wined and dined but now spiders and fungus are the only inhabitants!

MBAT (177 of 185).jpg

Thanks for looking!

MrDevla

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place has always fascinated me, I remember they used to hold air shows here when I was younger. Great photos and report.

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Nice. I discount this as something to look at, not sure why. I go past twice a day, so no excuse to ignore it I suppose.

We're you cheeky enough to shout 'museum' to the security at the entrance ;)

fedez123

28DL Member
28DL Member
Been here very recently, unfortunately demolition is coming ever closer to completion. Does anyone know where the old factory was located? Was it where the current Redrow houses now stand?

Who has read this thread (Total: 279) View details