real time web analytics
Report - - Woodhouse Moor air raid shelter - Leeds | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Woodhouse Moor air raid shelter - Leeds

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nighthawk45

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Again some old shots of mine dating a number of years. Thought it would be good to share.

Leeds, like many British Cities during the war built these public shelters from 1938 onwards. For Leeds the preferred location was local recreation grounds as they could easily be accessed by the public.

Construction of Woodhouse Moor air raid shelter began 1938 as the German bomb threat increased.

This air raid shelter has been abandoned since the end of WW2. To me it appears in very good condition for its age.

There remains many such shelters across the city, there condition within remains unknown.

Access was interesting to say the least…

3710420561_c0ba645a11_z.jpg

Women & Children area, note the emergency exit above

3710421671_a53a6751f6_z.jpg

Infilled entrance

3710422891_ce6fe61b5c_z.jpg

Male Area

3711233234_892263b590_z.jpg

Old seating, well whats left of it.
3711239014_4389d0119a_z.jpg

Remarkable condition for it's age don't you think? Centre of photo you can see the remains of an old woodburn heating system.

3710428717_9abcd986ff_z.jpg

Construction of not this, but a virtually identical shelter at nearby Chapeltown.

3711330812_ce63d64826_o.jpg

3711351162_a586ae33a5_o.jpg

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Another nice report :thumb

Funnily enough I was just looking at photos from here a couple of hours ago trying to find more info on Goyden Pot Tunnel :D

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Very good, there's plenty of shelters in Leeds, probably more so than most other places anyway

A friend of mine and veteran explorer Phill Davison has covered a fair few of them over the years and this sort of stuff fascinates me and kinda what got me into this silly hobby in the first place

Thanks for sharing, if you have any more stick 'em up :thumb

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
A friend of mine and veteran explorer Phill Davison has covered a fair few of them over the years and this sort of stuff fascinates me and kinda what got me into this silly hobby in the first place

I had to double check it wasn't Phill posting, the style of the photos are similar and all places he had visited :D

Nighthawk45

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very good, there's plenty of shelters in Leeds, probably more so than most other places anyway

Thanks for sharing, if you have any more stick 'em up :thumb

Funny you should mention Phill Davision. I've known him years and have visited numerous places with him over the years. I still speak with him but I doubt he will be exploring again, although that would be great.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Funny you should mention Phill Davision. I've known him years and have visited numerous places with him over the years. I still speak with him but I doubt he will be exploring again, although that would be great.

Nah, he won't, he just prefers to shoot the ladies now ;)

Nighthawk45

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nah, he won't, he just prefers to shoot the ladies now ;)

Well technically that's still exploring... exploring the ladies haha

Nah in all respect to him he really knows his stuff when it comes to old Leeds and exploration locations in general. I have him to thank for my first explore nearly 10 years ago, I blame him for getting me into this hobby.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones :thumb good to see again

We were discussing thes various Leeds shelters n the summer and we came to a conclusion that as we didn't have a JCB and Oxy/Acet for the ones under the ring road (although I do ;) but obviously that would be naughty ☺ that these were now basically no go at present ?

Wish I'd known Phil 10.years ago when stuff was still standing/more accessible ☺

Nighthawk45

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones :thumb good to see again

We were discussing thes various Leeds shelters n the summer and we came to a conclusion that as we didn't have a JCB and Oxy/Acet for the ones under the ring road (although I do ;) but obviously that would be naughty ☺ that these were now basically no go at present ?

Wish I'd known Phil 10.years ago when stuff was still standing/more accessible ☺

10 years ago Leeds was great for exploring and places were easily accessible. So many places have either been flattened or converted. I was on the scene back then but my camera skills were somewhat basic and hardly worth mentioning.

A few places that may ring a bell...

Yorkshire Chemicals
Gildersome Tunnel
Wallace Arnold Coach Depot
Eastmoor young offenders
York Road Library

So now I'm getting back into the scene mainly concentrating on tunnel stuff, re-equipping and getting out on my own for the time being, which is good in that you can spend time getting the shots you want, but bad as it's never great visiting such a place on your lonesome.

Shelters up near Harehills Lane by any chance? A JCB would be desirable, but the council may have something to say haha!

I have some photos of Armley Gotts Park shelter I will share another day.