real time web analytics
Report - - Woodhouse Wesleyan Chapel, Sheffield, June 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Woodhouse Wesleyan Chapel, Sheffield, June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Intro
I didn't realise this even existed until we visited. The building from the outside is easily identifiable as derelict, but remained under the radar until a Facebook post appeared shortly after I visited which put an end to it.

History
I couldn't find anything on this place to start with. Couple that with the fact I couldn't remember where this exactly was meant it was going to be a jolly few hours of rage trying to get some info together as simply putting "Couldn't find much but it was built then and closed then" just wouldn't sit with me.

Woodhouse-464x658.jpg

The chapel itself was constructed by 1878 designed by George.B Ford of Burslem becoming the Woodhouse Weselyan Chapel as part of the Methodist church.
The chapel is built using square stone topped with a slate roof built in a Romanesque style. Inside the chapel is formed into 2 stories with the 1st floor being a wooden paneled gallery, curving around the structure with the organ on the eastern edge supported by Iron supports, with the ground floor relatively similar to that of a regular chapel with pews.
The building later became known as the Trinity Chapel although I'm unsure when. With support for a congregation around 450 inside the chapel remained open until 1999 when due to falling numbers in the congregation and higher maintenance prices lead to the building's closure. Following this the church moved to a building next door with this structure standing dormant. Since then not much has happened and although the building was bought for development around 2012 most planning requests have been denied or simply not acted upon. As mentioned earlier the building now appears obviously derelict and vandalised which may lead to the structure's demise.

Yep, not too much info but it should do. Sorry.

(Sources, a load of historical societies.)

Anyway the photos.

Starting with the entrance hall.

Ground Floor.

It appears one of the pews has fallen down from above.

Upstairs.

And a close up of the woodwork.

Anyway, short report but better than nothing I guess.

ACalamita

Shut up Todd.
28DL Full Member
Nice and relatively untouched place. Like the "cold" feeling of the photos too!

When you say it was under the radar but no longer... has the place been ruined or is it still worth a visit?

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Glad to see it now moved. Its such a lovely place! Great photos Kp.