Web
Analytics
Report - - Woodside free library, Dudley, May 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Woodside free library, Dudley, May 2016

TranKmasT

MOP cutout specialist
Regular User
#1
Hi Guys and Gals. Billy no mates here bringing you another solo explore. A bit gutted this one but some nice features remain. Same old story, wished I'd looked sooner. I always assumed from the netting and scaffolding from the frontage that it was going to be restored but that's just there for safety, apparently.



It sounds like something from Ray Bradbury'sFahrenheit 451, a combined library and fire station. In the 1953 novel "firemen" burn outlawed books but in Victorian Woodside, although they shared a building, the offices of the fire station and library remained separate.

It was a classic Victorian move, to house two distinct functions in the same building. In fact, the building served three purposes as it also contained two police houses and a holding cell for any Woodside miscreants.

The establishment of public libraries in Dudley borough was a drawn-out affair. The Free Libraries Act, 1850, allowed local authorities to levy a rate of one halfpenny in the pound towards the building of a library and the 1855 Act raised the rate to one penny in the pound. However, in many cases it was several years before local authorities adopted these powers.

In Dudley it was William North, who became mayor in November 1877 who led the drive to establish a library. This process began at a meeting of the town council on July 2, 1878, when Councillor Henry M. Wainwright moved that a public meeting should be held to decide if the Free Libraries Act should be adopted in the borough. But it was not until September 25, 1878, that William North was able to chair a public meeting at the Dudley Institute. The proposal to build a public library was carried unanimously.

A few months later, the 1st Earl of Dudley intervened in the matter. He came to Dudley on February 6, 1879, to distribute prizes at the School of Art. At that time the school was in a building in Upper King Street that would later be used for the St Thomas' Higher Grade Schools.

During his visit the Earl of Dudley remarked on the inconvenient location of the School of Art and suggested that if the borough was going to build a free library it should also put up a new building for art purposes. The earl then offered, if the people of Dudley could decide on a more suitable site, to contribute a proportion of the profits from the Castle Fetes that were held every year at Whitsun towards the cost of building a new School of Art.

The Free Library Committee decided to follow the earl's suggestion and announced plans for a new building that would house both the library and a new School of Art. The two institutions would be quite separate, with their own entrances, but housed under the same roof. The Earl of Dudley agreed with the scheme and eventually a house and land, fronting Priory Street and St James' Road, were bought by the town council for £700 from the local industrialist and landowner Sir Horace St Paul.

The old house was demolished in 1883 and construction of the new library and art school began. The foundation stone was laid on July 3, 1883, by Earl Beauchamp, the Lord Lieutenant of Worcestershire. Dudley builders Webb and Round were the contractors and construction took around a year.

The opening ceremony was on July 29, 1884, and was conducted by the 1st Earl of Dudley's sister, the Honourable Julia Claughton, wife of Bishop Thomas Claughton and the mother of Sir Gilbert Claughton. She was last-minute stand-in as the original plan was for the Countess of Dudley to open the new library but she was unable to attend due to the recent death of her brother-in-law, Sir Charles Forbes.

The buildings at Woodside consist of two blocks, fronting the main road from Dudley to Stourbridge. Queen Anne style, best red bricks, relieved with stone dressing and carving. First block consists of a bold entrance in the centre, carried up as a tower with a cupola roof. Entrance hall, 35ft. by 9ft., with doors leading into the reading room and lending library. Staircase at one end of hall to the Recreation Room on first floor. Reading Room well lighted at side and end, 35ft. by 20ft., divided from lending library by glass screen. Lending Library, 30ft. by 15ft., fitted with pitch-pine shelves, counter, etc.; lavatory under stairs. First floor: Landing, 12ft. by 9ft., doors leading to Recreation Room and Retiring Room. Recreation Room, with platform at one end, 50ft. by 20ft.; retiring room, 15ft. by 9ft. Heated by hot water, fixed by Mr W. Attwood, Stourbridge. The second block consists of Fire Station, one cell, two police houses, and caretaker's house over Fire Station. Total cost, £2,900."

In the 1980s the police house and fire station became an "Improvements and Innovation" centre while the library remained in use until 2008. Since then the building has faced an uncertain future. Some renovation work was begun but came to a halt and the library remains partially scaffolded and in an unfinished state.

http://www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/...rary-station/story-28413663-detail/story.html





N23B7631_zpsaiuxwuof.jpg



N23B7634_zpsbftqczck.jpg



N23B7621_zpswai41xax.jpg



N23B7619_zpspbxsnfv4.jpg



N23B7531_zpszfo8zuaz.jpg



N23B7553_zpsiznlu4my.jpg



N23B7549_zpsagp2j0q3.jpg



N23B7547_zpszppleim4.jpg



N23B7559_zpsqjx7ugak.jpg



N23B7565_zpshimssxor.jpg



N23B7592_zpsyj6js1hj.jpg



N23B7605_zpsujf6n0gs.jpg



N23B7598_zpsda3ydwsi.jpg



N23B7596_zpsc25nnlak.jpg



N23B7616_zpstomatqtj.jpg



N23B7582_zps6zixdobh.jpg



N23B7607_zpsx003bwmp.jpg



N23B7622_zpsnu1ve77r.jpg



N23B7613_zpsnj6etnqi.jpg



N23B7629_zpsm4jkfcni.jpg





 

Attachments

Last edited:
E

Exploring With Jake

Guest
Guest
#4
Is this place still standing, if so could you send me the address please??
 

Similar threads