real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Woolton Hall - Liverpool - March 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Woolton Hall - Liverpool - March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Woolton Hall Permission visit March 2015

Thanks to @Lavino for providing me the number. Visited with a non-member.

I know, I know, its been done a thousand times but Im not going to apologise for jumping on the pretend urbexer tourist bus on this one lol :p

I rarely do residential places or be all girlie about stuff, give me somewhere dirty, oily and greasy full of pipes, big machines, turbonz or other such wonderous things that I have no idea about and Im as happy as a pig in mud!

But this place is my guilty pleasure and I have a thing for that red phone box, that gorgeous hexagonal blue
room, that lovely staircase and of course and those amazingly pretty chandaliers!

So when a non-explorer friend said she fancied doing something a little different I thought what the hell, permission visit here we come! A couple of PMs and a phone call later and a lovely old man was more than happy to show us round on a wet and windy Sunday afternoon.

We did try and get him to show us the convent next door but he didn't have keys for that and told us it was alarmed so we spent a good few hours mooching around the hall instead. The only downside was the later presence of some randoms who arrived to do what their photographer (student!) described as "The Underground Project" modelling shoot! o_O

History courtesy of Wiki

You all know this bit so I'll keep it brief:

The original part of the house was built in 1704 for the Molyneux family, on an estate of 400 acres that Richard Molyneux purchased in 1700. The site had had a house on since the Twelfth century, at one time serving as a the local headquarters of the Knights of St. John. After the death of Richard Molyneux in 1738 and his widow in 1766, Woolton Hall was acquired by Nicholas Ashton, High Sheriff of Lancashire, whose father was one of the original undertakers and the principal financier of the Sankey Canal, the first canal of the British industrial revolution.

In 1772, Robert Adam was employed to design a new frontage and redesign the interior. It remained in the Ashton family until the late Nineteenth century. The hall is a grade I listed building.

The house eventually fell into disrepair and was scheduled for demolition, until it was saved in 1980 by John Hibbert, a local resident, who bought it and spent £100,000 renovating it. The Hall was used for weddings and other such functions until it was sold to its current owners and In 2005, there were plans to convert the estate and house into retirement care flats.This however fell through when the owners ran out of money. According to John you can have it for a mere £3 million pounds

Anyway enough from me here's a few pics.

16371458994_a492324309_b.jpg

16807639999_51d6773261_b.jpg

16373741923_74517abc92_b.jpg

16786463027_f9a0b13a98_b.jpg

16992946881_d9533504ee_b.jpg

16373743333_e25a4a9946_b.jpg

16992454092_c41271b9c3_b.jpg

16967881146_a589bd8699_b.jpg

16806110018_234c51fa1e_b.jpg

16371457164_71017e362d_b.jpg

16992453992_58aa9a4a61_b.jpg

16992944981_bec431995a_b.jpg

16807640079_78808c76ce_b.jpg

16806111688_88db7766f7_b.jpg

16786462397_2557e07c63_b.jpg

16993832905_b820c32cb0_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report Paradox, I hope that your friend enjoyed the place, and with or without permission there is no doubt that it is a lovely place to see. Notice the piano has been moved to the other side of the hallway, must be the poltergiests :)

Last edited:

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
Some very nice shots there buddy, one or 2 places I didn't see when I was there too.

I like the lighting in the blue room also!

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Glad you enjoyed your visit :thumb what was with the door ripped off its hinges at the bottom of the stairway . Those damn urbexers. All adds to the affect lol.

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the comments folks .

@The Kwan it was good to see it and my mate really enjoyed herself thanks!

@Bigian88 I have to confess to nipping in when the models nipped out and made use of their lighting lol

@Telf Yeah he was lovely, him n his family used to have breakfast on the flat roof.

@Lavino lol its not off its hinges thats the way it opens, its hinges at the other side. He does keep the cellar locked so we asked him if it was ok to go down there :D

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Yeah it was locked when me and telf visited and what a great cellar door it is. Did he show you the photos . And the history I really enjoyed that it was interesting .

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah it was locked when me and telf visited and what a great cellar door it is. Did he show you the photos . And the history I really enjoyed that it was interesting .
He didnt show us any photos but was keen to share his history, going all the way back to 12th Century, he was really interesting. I think he gets proper amused at the paranormal hunters who go there lol.

rogerzm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Would really love to do this place. Any contact details for the caretaker? I'm a volunteer helping dig out and explore Williamsons Tunnels in Edge Hill, and most of us love exploring old abandoned local stuff. So would be great for us, and give the chance for us to invite the caretaker to come visit us. And anyone else on here of course :)

Paradox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Would really love to do this place. Any contact details for the caretaker? I'm a volunteer helping dig out and explore Williamsons Tunnels in Edge Hill, and most of us love exploring old abandoned local stuff. So would be great for us, and give the chance for us to invite the caretaker to come visit us. And anyone else on here of course :)

Ok Im gonna be a little harsh here and say no. Although it was given to me, and I appreciate this may sound a little hypocritical with this being a permission visit and me having got the number off another explorer. However, I have been on the forum for a while and hopefully shown that by submitting reports of places I have been that I am genuinely interested in exploring and gained the trust of others to provide me that information, be it permission visit or not.

It looks like you have been here for a while but I can only see three post from you all of which relate to Woolton Hall. After your first post you were advised how to get the number and no offence you haven't taken up that opportunity. I know I sound like Im being pedantic but it doesn't sit right with my beliefs just handing out information to someone who only appears to post asking for info.

Im guessing that if you and your friends love exploring abandoned stuff you will have some photos of your explores. Get yourself some reports up and I may reconsider my decision. Alternatively you could always follow the original advice you were given and like you said yourself take a look next time your passing.

No offence intended mate, but for me info is shared on a trust basis even for permission visits.

rogerzm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No offence taken, I did actually follow that advice when it was given, and couldn't find any contact number etc. Reason for not posting photos etc is that due to work commitments etc , just had opportunity to do much, reluctantly. But fully understand your position. I'll just keep going back and hopefully bump in to the caretaker. Offer still stands if anyone wants to visit the tunnels though..

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Ok Im gonna be a little harsh here and say no. Although it was given to me, and I appreciate this may sound a little hypocritical with this being a permission visit and me having got the number off another explorer. However, I have been on the forum for a while and hopefully shown that by submitting reports of places I have been that I am genuinely interested in exploring and gained the trust of others to provide me that information, be it permission visit or not.

It looks like you have been here for a while but I can only see three post from you all of which relate to Woolton Hall. After your first post you were advised how to get the number and no offence you haven't taken up that opportunity. I know I sound like Im being pedantic but it doesn't sit right with my beliefs just handing out information to someone who only appears to post asking for info.

Im guessing that if you and your friends love exploring abandoned stuff you will have some photos of your explores. Get yourself some reports up and I may reconsider my decision. Alternatively you could always follow the original advice you were given and like you said yourself take a look next time your passing.

No offence intended mate, but for me info is shared on a trust basis even for permission visits.

Yeah I agree well said you need to post reports up we all have to start and gain trust of others

David Hullton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can anyone supply information on access to this. The main gates were locked with no way in. Side gate welded. High wall right round. Private message is good :)

Thanks all.

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can anyone supply information on access to this. The main gates were locked with no way in. Side gate welded. High wall right round. Private message is good :)

Thanks all.

I believe if you can get to the front door there's a note with the number on, remember before permission visits were available here us lot managed to get onto the grounds.