real time web analytics
Report - - Worsley Brook Culvert & Greendale Footwash - April 2015 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Worsley Brook Culvert & Greendale Footwash - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kenni

Derp Lover
28DL Full Member

Worsley Brook Culvert & Greendale Footwash - April 2015

Visited with Dartian

*Worsley Brook Culvert is a fascinating culvert which runs at one point underneath the Bridgewater canal. The Culvert is around 400 metres in length and has numerous interesting features along the way.
A fantastic feat of engineering, and one I am surprised hasn't been reported on a lot. The majority of the culvert is 'balls-deep', so waders are a must, and the section of culvert that runs beneath the canal is rather stoopy.
At the end of the culvert is a chamber with two in-fall pipes; the left hand side pipe was gushing water down in to said chamber, of which I am unsure how deep it is as I carried out the obligatory 'tripod test' and failed.

*Greendale Footwash is a 'locked' overflow chamber from a local dam and runs in to the beginning of Worsley Brook.

On with the pics

DSC04614_zps3xmrqbkq.jpg

DSC04616_zpso2xpgfjq.jpg

DSC04618_zpsc2vmvgtg.jpg

DSC04620_zpsghy9fyle.jpg

DSC04621_zpscofjljq9.jpg

DSC04622_zps7s6qixhb.jpg

DSC04625_zpspwcandq2.jpg

DSC04626_zpsny9j0j1o.jpg

DSC04628_zpswm3dkrjy.jpg

DSC04631_zpsxwpciqdr.jpg

DSC04635_zpsmcujabst.jpg

DSC04636_zpscvthvxoe.jpg

DSC04637_zpswypxxxyt.jpg

DSC04642_zpsz79tlnov.jpg

DSC04644_zps6d9xbvjx.jpg

DSC04645_zpsfxewjh6x.jpg

DSC04646_zpsgiizvym6.jpg

DSC04655_zpsdcuqbjqz.jpg

DSC04654_zpsed8cbiwj.jpg

On to Greendale Footwash, about 50 metres long - the amount of spray in here was unreal.

DSC04673_zpsakfqbf1k.jpg

Oh no.....

DSC04676_zpsokymlhx8.jpg

Oh Yeahhhhh.......

DSC04678_zpsvojwfplh.jpg

DSC04680_zpszxtw81sq.jpg

DSC04681_zpsl5byxb8h.jpg

DSC04687_zpsmghr0sbq.jpg

Another Chamber that failed the tripod test!

DSC04689_zpsjuvqnoyw.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

dartian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It might have been balls deep for kenni but for me it was nipples deep. Although they are begining to sag a little with age etc. Oh well. Great pics though.

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
Nice one Kenni :thumb

Now that is my style of underground goodiness, a nice bit of viewing before bed :sleep

The mixture of brick, concrete, stone, wood and iron is lovely. It fascinates me to think of the skilled workers building the structures and then to explore the sights umpteen decades, dare I say centuries later in the case of the sandstone cut sections. It makes you wonder if in the future, will people be exploring the new structures that are being built now with the same fascination.

I bet that waterfall section was damn noisy?

Kenni

Derp Lover
28DL Full Member
Nice one Kenni :thumb

Now that is my style of underground goodiness, a nice bit of viewing before bed :sleep

The mixture of brick, concrete, stone, wood and iron is lovely. It fascinates me to think of the skilled workers building the structures and then to explore the sights umpteen decades, dare I say centuries later in the case of the sandstone cut sections. It makes you wonder if in the future, will people be exploring the new structures that are being built now with the same fascination.

I bet that waterfall section was damn noisy?

Cheers FF :thumb - and hell yeah it was extremely noisy!

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
There's a similar fall in a section near me. Bloody thunderous, and due to the falling water, it has carved a hidden bowl under the surface, sweat at the thought of slipping into it and filling waders up :eek:

concreteJungle

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks great, especially where it opens out. I wonder what used to connect in at the bricked up pipe near the outfall.