real time web analytics
Report - - Wreck of the RMS Mulheim, Gamper Bay Cornwall, August 2013 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wreck of the RMS Mulheim, Gamper Bay Cornwall, August 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Didders

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well it's been 10 years since the RMS Mulheim was wrecked in Gamper Bay and a flat(ish) day on our surfing holiday gave a good excuse to go and have an explore. The history of the wreck can be found here: MV RMS Mulheim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Access down the cliff, despite the warning sign was not too tricky but once near to the wreck then the fun really starts. The ship is currently lying on slippery boulders at quite an angle (possibly around 35 degrees), surrounded by a labyrinth of rusting and twisted steel plates to negotiate. It's a large wreck that's for sure, and on closer inspection it can be seen that the belly of the ship has been ripped out by the constant battering of the winter storm swells.

After a quick mooch round the exterior it was time to go inside. First up was the middle deck, with access gained through an inch thick heavy steel door that was only just moveable. Once inside there were several rooms to explore, one with sinks and kitchen units still in situ. Care was needed as there was holes everywhere, some with big drops into the sea below, and the angle of the floor and walls made walking around very tricky - more like climbing than walking really.

Next up was the lower deck - this was more tricky but eventually found a ladder from the rear deck descending into the void below. Didn't fancy that so instead, clambered up inside the lower deck from the rocks below the ship, grabbing hold of some old piping to pull up on during a break in the waves (in hindsight the ladder would have been easier and I used the ladder to exit). The lower deck had carpets, shower plinths, pipework and electrical cabling still in place and it was really interesting trying to climb up the angled floor to reach the porthole windows for a look out of the ships side.

The main deck of the ship was last, and the angle of the ship made for some interesting climbing moves. From here the bridge can be explored, as can the ladder leading down a small shaft from a hatch into what remains of the engine room in the darkness below (too dark for a good photo).

All in all a great explore. The wreck is in a pretty sorry state, with holes, drops, jagged & rusting metal everywhere. It is not for the faint hearted that's for sure and exploring with waves crashing through the void in the ship's belly below makes for some interesting atmosphere and noises. Unfortunately all I had with me was the camera on my phone (hence the not great pictures). I was also wearing shorts and a T-shirt (both now torn, and rust stained after the explore). The rust stains also took a few days to disappear from my hands.

This is an atmospheric and unusual site - would be great to see what someone could do with a proper camera.

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg