real time web analytics
Report - - WT Henley Cable Works Air Raid Shelter, Nortfleet - August 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - WT Henley Cable Works Air Raid Shelter, Nortfleet - August 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jorwal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Henley's was a factory that made electrical cables, and was established in 1837. More on the history here. The remains of the actual factory itself is only accessible if you're a proper skinny bastard who's not worried about getting ripped to shreds from shards of glass & equipped with a step ladder (which I am not and did not have). Someone's gone to quite a bit of effort to keep us lot out; it's been boarded up with wood and has metal sheets welded on.
(I also came across a creepy arse cave by accident which a separate mini-report will be covering briefly)

Here's some shots of the actual factory itself:
Front of the building
IMG_1387.jpg

Back of the building
IMG_1389.jpg

So anyway, on to the actual air raid shelter... I was shocked at the sheer size of the place thinking it'd only be a small singular tunnel, but there's so much more to it than that and it took us about an hour to get round all of it. Not all pictures will be annotated because it's pretty obvious what everything is :)
So this is the the tunnel at the entrance we took (only to find a much easier one at the end)
IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

I love how you can see the original paint slowly melting on the walls
IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

Old elsan toilets in good condition
IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

Ventilation remains
IMG_1457.jpg

One of the many cross junctions
IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

The inside of one of the several sealed entrances
IMG_1455.jpg

Erm
IMG_1466.jpg

No comment
IMG_1478.jpg

Light or dark side
IMG_1483.jpg

Possibly had benches on them??
IMG_1482.jpg

Some of the remaining flooring getting more fekked as the days go on (with yet another sealed entrance at the end), if the whole place had this wooden flooring how cool would that look?
IMG_1487.jpg

And after all of that walking I was knackered, but thankfully someone left their lounger thing from a few weeks back so I took the liberty to have a quick lay down :thumb
IMG_1473.jpg

So that's that, creepy arse cave coming soon

UrbanXplorer

28DL Member
28DL Member
I tried finding this place online, but to no avail. Could someone guide me as to where it is? I am wanting to take professional shots of the air raid shelter. Any help would be much appreciated.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
I tried finding this place online, but to no avail. Could someone guide me as to where it is? I am wanting to take professional shots of the air raid shelter. Any help would be much appreciated.

Define a professional shot? that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. All info is online, if you cant be bothered to do the homework then you don't get the money shot....such is life!

Last edited:

UrbanXplorer

28DL Member
28DL Member
Define a professional shot? that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. All info is online, if you cant be bothered to do the homework then you don't get the money shot....such is life!
No need to get all defensive. I was simply trying to find out where exactly it is. 1) you do not own this place therefore you need not worry about my intentions nor should you act in the way you are acting and 2) I asked politely where the place is, I wasn't rude, I was simply hoping for some friendly information and a small amount of manners. I thought people where civilised on this site. Guess not.

Jorwal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No need to get all defensive. I was simply trying to find out where exactly it is. 1) you do not own this place therefore you need not worry about my intentions nor should you act in the way you are acting and 2) I asked politely where the place is, I wasn't rude, I was simply hoping for some friendly information and a small amount of manners. I thought people where civilised on this site. Guess not.
Lazyness won't get you anywhere, it's literally a google search away...

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User

I'm afraid you have been misinformed In that case as my reply was quite polite in comparison to some responses you may receive.
1. I did not claim to own the place but others do own the land and tunnels so maybe start by locating them and gaining permission.
2. You will learn very fast from here on that you do not ask for locations or access. and to ask for an EXACT location is just taking the piss to be honest. Its made worse by the fact this is such a blatantly obvious place to locate and also all the required information is online.
3. conversation over. I suggest you take on board my comments and go do your homework. :thumb

otefsu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some great pics there, would love to go there sometime. Anyone going there soon happy to take a newb along? By the way, I know these tunnels well, just don't feel comfortable going alone!

UrbanFoxCub

Explore and love the adventure
Banned
Henley's was a factory that made electrical cables, and was established in 1837. More on the history here. The remains of the actual factory itself is only accessible if you're a proper skinny bastard who's not worried about getting ripped to shreds from shards of glass & equipped with a step ladder (which I am not and did not have). Someone's gone to quite a bit of effort to keep us lot out; it's been boarded up with wood and has metal sheets welded on.
(I also came across a creepy arse cave by accident which a separate mini-report will be covering briefly)

Here's some shots of the actual factory itself:
Front of the building
IMG_1387.jpg

Back of the building
IMG_1389.jpg

So anyway, on to the actual air raid shelter... I was shocked at the sheer size of the place thinking it'd only be a small singular tunnel, but there's so much more to it than that and it took us about an hour to get round all of it. Not all pictures will be annotated because it's pretty obvious what everything is :)
So this is the the tunnel at the entrance we took (only to find a much easier one at the end)
IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

I love how you can see the original paint slowly melting on the walls
IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

Old elsan toilets in good condition
IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

Ventilation remains
IMG_1457.jpg

One of the many cross junctions
IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

The inside of one of the several sealed entrances
IMG_1455.jpg

Erm
IMG_1466.jpg

No comment
IMG_1478.jpg

Light or dark side
IMG_1483.jpg

Possibly had benches on them??
IMG_1482.jpg

Some of the remaining flooring getting more fekked as the days go on (with yet another sealed entrance at the end), if the whole place had this wooden flooring how cool would that look?
IMG_1487.jpg

And after all of that walking I was knackered, but thankfully someone left their lounger thing from a few weeks back so I took the liberty to have a quick lay down :thumb
IMG_1473.jpg

So that's that, creepy arse cave coming soon
First two picture are not the factory. Thats offices.

UrbanFoxCub

Explore and love the adventure
Banned
Ohh okay that makes sense, I did wonder why the shelter was so far away, cheers :)

The factory stood on the land both sides of the road. Back in 2010/2011 parts of the site and buildings was used for paintball & airsoft if u look the place up on google u will see how it used to look. Where the lidl distribution place is that aslo used to be part of henleys.
It was a massive site and even had walk ways over the mai roads to connect the buildings and offices