real time web analytics
Report - - WW2 Armthorpe decoy bunker-September 2019 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - WW2 Armthorpe decoy bunker-September 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bonniemarie

28DL Member
28DL Member
A Second World War bombing decoy was originally built to deflect enemy night bombing from Royal Air Force Finningley airfield and was later used for Royal Air Force Doncaster airfield. This was a 'Q-type' night decoy, which displayed a series of lights to simlulate an active airfield. It is referenced as being in use from 1940 to 1942 located roughly 2 miles from RAF Lindholme and 3 miles from RAF Finningley.

Last edited:

tigger

mog
Regular User
Armthorpe decoy (15b) was initially for Finningley, later Doncaster and then abandoned in favour of single use of site 15a at Owston Ferry (which was the primary decoy for Finningley).
The crew shelter/ops room remains at Owston Ferry as well.

Good to see a control building from a decoy for a change. Did you happen to note which company supplied the corrugated sheeting?

Last edited:

Bonniemarie

28DL Member
28DL Member
Armthorpe decoy (15b) was initially for Finningley, later Doncaster and then abandoned in favour of single use of site 15a at Owston Ferry (which was the primary decoy for Finningley).
The crew shelter/ops room remains at Owston Ferry as well.

Good to see a control building from a decoy for a change. Did you happen to note which company supplied the corrugated sheeting?
Not a clue if I'm honest about the corrugated sheeting.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice & natural photos there. Thanks for sharing this. As said already, title needs amending, you have til 8.50pm I believe to edit title. (24 hrs after posting) Just hit the 3 ball symbol in title box and you should be able to add location & date.

Thanks to tigger for extra info, always nice to know a bit more .

Bonniemarie

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice & natural photos there. Thanks for sharing this. As said already, title needs amending, you have til 8.50pm I believe to edit title. (24 hrs after posting) Just hit the 3 ball symbol in title box and you should be able to add location & date.

Thanks to tigger for extra info, always nice to know a bit more .
Done it now

Who has read this thread (Total: 147) View details