Web
Analytics
Report - - WW2 Artillery School - Llandudno - September 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - WW2 Artillery School - Llandudno - September 2020

South & Scouse Urbex

Banned
Banned
Hi guys, this is my first post on this site of one of my explorations. Such a beautiful place to visit and was just a night before planned idea to travel here. This place is situated in a beautiful area of North Wales, and I hope you enjoy some of my pictures shot with my Canon Powershot Sx730 HS.

The History
In early 1940 in the Second World War, the government decided that with the threat of Nazi invasion and bombing of the Royal Artillery’s Coastal Gunnery School, it should be relocated from Shoeburyness, Essex, to somewhere safer. After much searching eventually they chose an area of the Great Orme. The site was considered ideal both for its location and its wide estuary mouth, which provided anchorage for target vessels.

Training began in September 1940 and in addition to the Gunnery Wing, a Searchlight Wing and a Wireless Wing were established. In April 1941, the first wireless courses began, for training in radio location and radar.

By 1942 there were 150 officers, 115 cadets and 445 other ranks at the Great Orme gunnery school. They were able to run 14 courses at a time. The personnel were mostly accommodated in local Llandudno hotels and boarding houses.

Mortar firing was to cease if an aircraft was in the vicinity, at an altitude below 3,000 feet and anti-aircraft practice to cease if a plane was below 10,000 feet.

In 1942 the Llandudno Home Guard were trained on six-inch and 12-pounder guns, and on the searchlights. In 1943 they were officially named as the Coast Artillery Battery, Home Guard.

The three searchlight stations are still intact but not that easily accessible. The site was vacated by 1946 and in the 1950s most of the installations were demolished.
I hope you enjoy guys. :D

Attachments

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good 1st report. Lovely photos, so much in N Wales, I really wanted to get there this yr :confused: . But Im enjoying the reports coming out from there. Nice history, little explanation, good coverage and lovely sunset, followed format. Spot on 1st post, warm welcome to 28 dl. :thumb

South & Scouse Urbex

Banned
Banned
Good first report. These places often get overlooked but you got some great pix there.
Thank you so much, it took a little time to get here, I made the mistake of climbing the great orme first! Then seeing them in the distance and finding them, so I suppose the exercise paid off! Haha

South & Scouse Urbex

Banned
Banned
Nicely done! As others have said, great pics!
I've wanted to do this, but my mobility isn't as good as it once was. Thanks for getting out there!
At your service and thank you so much, if you would ever like help exploring let me know, i can be a great sidekick in helping hands haha

South & Scouse Urbex

Banned
Banned
Good 1st report. Lovely photos, so much in N Wales, I really wanted to get there this yr :confused: . But Im enjoying the reports coming out from there. Nice history, little explanation, good coverage and lovely sunset, followed format. Spot on 1st post, warm welcome to 28 dl. :thumb
I honestly can’t explain how much love I have for wales! The history and the views are unreal and the family momentum’s spent there as well :), thank you so much for you kind words, if I’m struggling I’ll be sure to come to for help, thank you so much again !