real time web analytics
Report - - ww2 canadian army camp isfield 02/12 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ww2 canadian army camp isfield 02/12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Opthomasprime24

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
visted with monk and omen

This ww2 site mainly consisted of canadian troops during ww2.Tere is 16 nissen huts and a few other buildings on site.In 1940 a new extension was built from isfield station platford into the camp so troops,vehicles and supplies could be unloaded quickly and efficiently.This siding was extremly important when evacuating french and british troops from dunkirk
I know its been done before and it will prob end up in the bin but heres some pics.

Picture054.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture048.jpg

Picture035-1.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg

Picture036-1.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Theres not much left here but still worth a look if your in the area before it gets flattened

CON666

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thought I would have to add a few bits.
I worked on that archaeology report for this, pre demolition. Unfortunately the internet and heresy have surrounded this site in so many untrue rumours.

I hope you don't think I'm being an arse clearing them up? Not trying to tread on feet.

It was not a Canadian camp, there were not thousands of canadians in this area, so the rumours have it. There were marshalling camps prior to Dday but largely British.

This was not a camp, but a command stores. It was not for troops, or equipment, but simple stores.

It was actually build after Dday in late july 1944. We uncovered the survey, consultations with British rail and the invoices for construction in national archive. All dated after Dday. Also cartigraohical surveys of 1944 confirm this.

The local pub also features in the fables being allegedly blown up by drunk Candians. Simply not true. No Canadians there and carrying explosives and such actions would be court marshall and hold records from command. They don't exist.

I hope this clears up the site a bit. It's still just as important and a shame it was removed. Interestingly 3 tellermines were uncovered during excavation, all concrete training ones, but the company tasked with the archaeology didn't know what they were!

Con