real time web analytics
Report - - WW2 RAF fuel storage and distribution site - Furnace End, North Warwickshire. | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - WW2 RAF fuel storage and distribution site - Furnace End, North Warwickshire.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Felix Le Chat

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So well camouflaged by trees and undergrowth that many locals who have lived in the area all their lives have no idea it is there. Part of the supply network to smaller RAF airstrips throughout the Meriden Rural District during the war: an area that saw a lot of German bombers flying overhead in attempts to destroy the local aircraft factories of Castle Bromwich and what was at the time - one of the biggest power generating stations in Britain: Hams Hall.

Sold off by the MOD to a local fuel wholesaler and used during the 1960's and 1970's to store fuel oil and diesel before he made enough profit to get new purpose-built underground tanks installed in the late 1970's. Left to fall into disuse, but oddly enough after 30+ years of dilapidation - not total dereliction. Made of stern stuff for modular tanks.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• RAF fuel storage depot - Furnace End (8).jpg
    RAF fuel storage depot - Furnace End (8).jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 30

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really like that. Some of the fixtures look similar to an undergroud oil storage facility I explored near Plymouth. Love the drone pictures.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very different, but oddly intriguing. I really like that 1st shot, and all your others too. These sure are made of stern stuff. Great 1st report. Good format, some history and nicely showcased. Its a big yes and welcome to 28 dl from me :thumb

Imba

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is awesome, loving the drone shots. I find places like these fascinating, being so close to locals for years, yet no one seems to be aware. Gives it a special charm

Who has read this thread (Total: 160) View details