real time web analytics
Report - - WW2 Valley Works in Rhydymwyn, dec 2015 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - WW2 Valley Works in Rhydymwyn, dec 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JemCymru

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Valley Works in Rhydymwyn, North Wales was a Second World War site that was used for the storage and production of mustard gas. It was later also used in the development of the UK's atomic bomb project. More recently, it became a bulk storage depot for emergency supplies. The site occupies around 35 hectares of the Alyn Valley, to the south of the village of Rhydymwyn. It is also a protected nature reserve.

Not the easiest of sites to access, huge fence surrounds the huge site. After driving around the whole area and a few reccys on foot myself and fellow profesional moocher Trevor Onions found a way in...

Couldnt access the tunnels :( 1 is seeled/bricked and the other 2 are locked. Please let me know if this changes!! The tunnel system is suppoed to be massive, lots of different chambers...

IMG_5639_zps5jaaflau.jpg

IMG_5640_zpsyjwvwn8y.jpg

IMG_5641_zpsl8ssbd6l.jpg

IMG_5642_zpstya9xtut.jpg

IMG_5645_zpswdgdvbii.jpg

IMG_5647_zpsuhnrofdq.jpg

IMG_5648_zpsbrnb07pv.jpg

IMG_5650_zpsnhtnpkda.jpg

IMG_5651_zpslh55djmp.jpg

IMG_5653_zpsnu28r8er.jpg

IMG_5654_zpsvsa3opre.jpg

IMG_5655_zpsoj4wqjhg.jpg

IMG_5656_zpsbxjlunfs.jpg

IMG_5657_zpslzief0el.jpg

IMG_5658_zpstzteghnj.jpg

IMG_5661_zpshc2yrthy.jpg

Last edited:

WeaponsGrade

28DL Member
28DL Member
The last picture above.
It's not some mysterious left over military object!
It's a drum filled with sand, supposedly for Sand-martins to nest in.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So much for having the Geneva Protocol Treaty in 1929 ,preventing use of such Gases & Chemicals in War ....or peace

A treaty that still allowed production and storage or such substances :eek:

JemCymru

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
12min documentary history site report with some some great footage here of inside the tunnels.

JemCymru

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just a comment but by simply asking you can get a guided tour.
All the history and everything about the tunnels is here https://www.rhydymwynvalleyhistory.co.uk/index.htm

yes, thats true the RVHS do organise private tours if you become a member of their society, membership is £5 or £10 i think... and you can go on one of their tours of the whole site and nature reserve plus some bird, worm and slug spotting etc.

Kind of defeats the object of URBEX though, and far less fun, exciting and dangerous.

I do love a good ol' chase. ;)

Last edited:

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
'These tunnels are empty'
Makes you want to see more, I won't lie :thumb good job

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
yes, thats true the RVHS do organise private tours if you become a member of their society, membership is £5 or £10 i think... and you can go on one of their tours of the whole site and nature reserve plus some bird, worm and slug spotting etc.

Kind of defeats the object of URBEX though, and far less fun, exciting and dangerous.

I do love a good ol' chase. ;)

Well it seems you've already proved you can't access the place so you'd best break into your Piggy Bank and go on an authorised tour and get some decent pics ;)

tigger

mog
Regular User

Membership of the RVHS (or the Wildlife Trust) will get you access for the princely sum of £5 - that's per year not per visit. It also gives you use of the visitor centre, access to the huge archive of documents, videos and photos of the site (as well as other related sites around the country).

Yes, they do occasional guided tours, and even have a very good open day, but you don't have to have a guided tour (or watch worms) except on the open day (insurance etc requires you to be accompanied by an authorised person). Oh, no worm watching on those tours (well I don't remember anyone doing so on the ones I lead anyway?)

....however, if you do want a guided tour (for which you won't even have to pay a fiver membership fee) then it can easily be arranged (sorry, I won't be able to tell you much about the worms and slugs), PM me and we can sort something out. Before you ask, I can't take you in the tunnels because the rules say so (and sometimes I follow the rules). There's another urbex website with the initials DP - on there you'll find a photo taken last year without the interior gate in the way (not very exciting...the tunnels aren't anyway...but it's not often a member of the public sees the gate open).

So, maybe it's not 'exciting and dangerous' (not that your walk round is that likely to have been) but it is history and it is interesting.

Now form an orderly queue as I don't like coach parties (they can have the 'official' tour).

ColinBa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good news for most. There will be extended access to the tunnels on at least two days this year, starting in early spring.
This will mean on two Saturdays there will be a showing of films, a talk and a guided walk up the length of the central tunnel with views down the cross chambers.
It is envisaged this initially will be by booking only.

lucan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice set , no the public don't get to see inside very often , keeping an eye out for when they do get opend ,
did manage a quick look the time I went , with permission

2yzezva.jpg

Mistee2211

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very interesting, thanks, in South Wales we had the 8x's In Brackla and Pencoed Army Hostels, great places to explore as a kid, a few of the 8x's are still there but legally inaccessible, pencoed hostels is now a housing Estate, there was also the bomb factories which is now Bridgend industrial estate, brilliant playgrounds when growing up but sadly no more