real time web analytics
Report - - Wycliffe Congregational Church Stockport March 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wycliffe Congregational Church Stockport March 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Wycliffe Congregational Church Stockport.

Background and history :- Built in 1849 to a Gothic design, by Manchester architect Edward Walters, the Grade II listed Wycliffe Congregational Church has changed little since it was built. It was originally listed as part of a visual group with the houses opposite, but these have now been demolished.
The Church has a first floor worship space over a basement which was used for community activities such a boxing club.

Other points worth noting, Stockport County football club were formed in 1883 as Heaton Rovers by members of the Wycliffe Congregational Church, and played their first recorded game in October the next year.

I am unsure when the church closed it's doors but the building was added to the At Risk Register in 2011.
Recent investigations showed the Church must have suffered from subsidence not long after it was built, and this has continued to a minor degree.

After a couple of aborted explores i decided to have a look at this place as it's on my doorstep.
I pass this place all the time but it took a conversation with Host for me to get my arse round there, so thanks to him for the nudge :thumb

On with some pics, had the old fisheye out again so hope i aint overdone it .....

The church........

church-19r.jpg

churchr.jpg
church-2r.jpg

church-4r.jpg

church-3r.jpg

church-5r.jpg
church-7r.jpg

church-6r.jpg

church-9r.jpg

church-10r.jpg
church-8r.jpg