real time web analytics
Report - - Wye Entomology Laboratories - October 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wye Entomology Laboratories - October 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

D

Dragon_Urbex

I only recently managed to explore this place about a week before my 21st birthday in early October, which was entirely down to me not realising for over two years this place was derelict! Wye seems to have a good little cluster of derelict sites now which makes for a nice afternoon of mooching around if you're in the area. Here's a small history, pinched from Zombizza's report: "The company was officially formed into Wyebugs in 1991, with a launch at the Chelsea flower show they offered biocontrol products for mail order from as little as £3.00. The biocontrol market was soon recognised as being very viable and other companies started coming on board. Due to Wyebugs being more focused on research and development they outsourced the retail side to companies with a better set up. They went on to work with non agricultural companies dealing with life threatening disease carriers like mosquitos. When the Wye college merged with Imperial College London the company decided to ditch higher education in 2002 and launch a fully commercial business. This business continues today and are endorsed by DEFRA."

The Explore:

I live fairly near Wye so once I had some free time, I jumped on my bike and got a train down to the sleepy Kentish village. I've explored other parts of the site before now, but only recently managed to access nigh on everything. There's one more place I haven't managed yet, but I hope to conquer it soon. The explore at the entomology (study of insects) labs was chilled out. Considering its location, I am very very surprised that it isn't totally destroyed and vandalised by local kids. Access was easy - holes absolutely everywhere. The greenhouses were full of all sorts of detritus and sheep crap, so I didn't bother too much with those. However the plant room (machinery, not plant plants!) was pretty nice and had a cool generator. I didn't stay too long in there due to the fact that there was a bloody enormous wasp nest on the chimney - got a bit of a phobia of wasps due to almost being blinded by one when I was a toddler. The absolute highlight for me was the many boxes of preserved insects leftover. Unfortunately I've read these have apparently now gone walkabout. Enjoy the photos:

1) A general view of some of the older greenhouses.

DSC_4885.JPG

2) Looking down towards the east side of the site - plant room chimney on the left.

DSC_4882.JPG

3) Inside one of the greenhouses. It was baking hot.

DSC_4888.JPG

4) Nature is slowly taking over.

DSC_4889.JPG

5) Looking into some of the more cluttered greenhouses. Sheep crap is evident in here!

DSC_4921.JPG

6) Inside the laboratory building. Some nice peeling paint on the ceiling.

DSC_4834.JPG

7) I like a nice retro looking sign.

DSC_4841.JPG

8) In another laboratory.

DSC_4844.JPG

9) The pin board still has the outlines of notices. I quite like that.

DSC_4846.JPG

10) Looking down the narrow corridor.

DSC_4845.JPG

11) I have no idea what these were. Ovens perhaps?

DSC_4851.JPG

12) Dials and gauges.

DSC_4879.JPG

13) Inside a lovely retro lab, with some very good looking wooden cabinets.

DSC_4857.JPG

14) Looking back over, showing a walk-in fridge and instruments.

DSC_4862.JPG

15) A shot of the cabinets. Shame they likely won't be salvaged.

DSC_4864.JPG

16) I'm not sure what this was for, but it's certainly very interesting.

DSC_4858.JPG

17) Unless I am mistaken, this could be a condenser.

DSC_4865.JPG

18) The two boilers in the plant room.

DSC_4914.JPG

19) A pair of pumps.

DSC_4915.JPG

20) What seems to be a generator in case of off-site power loss.

DSC_4917.JPG

21) A small tape thing. Possibly to record logs.

DSC_4919.JPG

22) An electron microscope with some glass sheets, possibly the type to put into old school projectors.

DSC_4869.JPG

23) Arty-farty photo of the microscope.

DSC_4873.JPG

24) The bugs!!

DSC_4891.JPG

25) A shot of the box with the beetles.

DSC_4893.JPG

26) Some of these are absolutely enormous.

DSC_4900.JPG

27) A glass case full of beetles and bugs.

DSC_4902.JPG

28) Another nicely framed case of samples of things.

DSC_4907.JPG

29) A box full of plant cuttings in microscope slides.

DSC_4904.JPG

30) Box of fuchsia samples. Fuchsia is a plant with a flower that looks like a dancing lady. When I was little, I called fuchsia just that - "dancing ladies". It wasn't until I was 7 when I found out the real name of fuchsia in a book that my ecologist father had. However, I mispronounced it for a while ("fuck-see-uh").

DSC_4911.JPG

Thanks for readin'!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I like this site even though others think it's some "rubbish greenhouses". And looks like most of the bugs are still there. I really liked the labs. You covered it well.

Last edited:
D

Dragon_Urbex

I like this site even though others think it's some "rubbish greenhouses". You covered it well..and looks like most of the bugs are still there. I really liked the labs. You covered it well.
Cheers. Though this was back in early October - according to Zombizza the good ones have disappeared.

D

Dragon_Urbex

The specimens are excellent, Im amazed they haven't been nicked yet!
I'm amazed as well honestly. Considering the site's location as well. Surprised it hasn't been ransacked and destroyed.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Ive always like it here. I missed so much when I went a few yrs ago. Must go back I think. I spent ages hidden in a little office from the police lol

D

Dragon_Urbex

The boiler room wooden cabinets, slides and sample cabinets are ace! Great report...
They are. I explored a fantastic boiler room which was part of an office place back in the summer. I’ll post a report sometime in the next few days I think.

D

Dragon_Urbex

Ive always like it here. I missed so much when I went a few yrs ago. Must go back I think. I spent ages hidden in a little office from the police lol
You should. Deforestation for demolition has begun everywhere on the Wye sites.

Not had police on me in Wye but had a couple of close calls with secca. It’s one site where I’ve never managed to get caught ever which I’m pretty smug about.

Who has read this thread (Total: 252) View details