real time web analytics
Report - - Xinying Sugar Factory Park/新營糖廠 and Huaji High School/華濟中學, June 2020 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Xinying Sugar Factory Park/新營糖廠 and Huaji High School/華濟中學, June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First of all apologies for the delay in dealing with this, but this is the first report I've written since the birth of my daughter and so since then exploring has taken a back seat and so have editing photos and writing reports! I'm far busier than before, but I won't stop exploring ever. So here we are with a thread compiling the explores I've done over in Taiwan to date. Mostly trains, and some have done with permission, but decay is never not in abundance. For what it's worth, I'm eternally glad I chose to live in Taiwan at this time because not only has coronavirus barely hit us, we've never had to deal with a lockdown. Not to get political here, but that's what you get when you don't vote for the far right in blue!

For James Hodge
Most importantly, I'd like to dedicate this entire thread to the memory of one of my best friends, an aspiring urban explorer, James Hodge. James was with me for my last report at the Fengzhong cinema, and was aspiring to be an urban explorer just like myself. We did a few derps in 2020 (one of which was a fail, to be revisited), none of which were truly report-worthy, but tragically James was killed in a motorbike accident in July 2020, aged 25. What makes the first part of this report even harder to write is that James was supposed to be with me for the first two sites you see here, and was on his way but due to delays from being somewhere else earlier in the day never did manage to get to me in time. It pains me to write this, but this day was the last time I ever heard James's voice, and never saw him again. RIP James Hodge, 1994-2020.

Xinying Sugar Factory Park
Derelict sugar factories are in absolute abundance across the whole of Taiwan, and many stand derelict today. Some are fully abandoned like you will see here, but there are others which have been left to rot yet converted into themed sites or art space, leaving the rotting machinery intact. I did one in Gaoxiong in 2018, but decided not to post a report as it didn't feel like genuine exploring with so many people around.

History: The Xinying Sugar Factory originally belonged to the Salt Water Port Sugar Co., Ltd., and the construction started in 1907. To build this factory, the Salt Water Port Sugar Factory first acquired a site on the right bank of the Xinying Kyu Shui River. The warehouse, dormitory and office were completed in August of that year, and construction of the factory began in October. At that time, the factory was called the "Second Workshop" or "Xinying Workshop". Later, the plant was nearly completed at the end of October of the following year, and it was commissioned on November 3rd on the Tianchang Festival. n the initial stage of the plant's construction, the daily crush of sugarcane was 1,000 tons, and it was exclusively designed to separate honey. Later, in response to market demand, equipment was added to produce arable land sugar.

At the end of the Second World War, the Xinying Sugar Refinery was bombarded by the Allied Forces like other sugar factories in Taiwan. Due to the serious damage, the raw materials of the Xinying Sugar Refinery could only be entrusted to the Onshore Sugar Refinery.After the Second World War, the second workshop of the Xinying Sugar Refining Plant was barely repaired, but because it was seriously damaged, Taiwan Sugar accepted the advice of American sugar experts to merge the first and second workshops and change production.

After the onshore sugar factory was merged on October 1st in 1992 the onshore sugar factory was merged into the Xinying General Factory, and the onshore sugar factory was changed to the onshore workshop. The Xinying General Factory's own sugar factory said the Xinying workshop and the Houan internal workshop were closed on July 1st 1994. After that, the Xinying General Factory was renamed Xinying Sugar Factory on May 1st in 2000. In 2001 the sugar factory closed on March 31, and was restructured into Xinying Factory on July 1 and in July 2003, it was changed to Shanhua Sugar Factory. In April 2002, the Xinying Sugar Factory plant began to be demolished. After the end of the sugar business, the self-operated farm land was left with 128 hectares for production and utilization, and the other 1549 hectares were handed over to the Nanjing Sugar Factory.

The visit: as the history points out the main factory has been demolished completely, although some parts such as the rotten dormitories remain (of little interest). The site now exists as a railway park (similar to the other sugar factories) with locos running and others left on display. Most of the locos probably are used as static display or spare parts, and the main shed is almost deserted and occupied by stray dogs. I wasn't sure I'd be allowed in, but I asked a gardener and he waved me right in and had free roam.

51125501785_77d6d4a769_b.jpg

51124442354_2f203a2cc3_b.jpg

What locos are actually operational or not isn't always clear, but seeing their rusted exteriors is always a pleasing sight.

51124129527_84ec228ddb_b.jpg

51125500905_7ec55b86ab_b.jpg

The Diema diesel locomotives, from the 1970s are all German-built for the sugar industry. Many are scrapped, but you'd be genuinely amazed at how many survive today across Taiwan.
51124691716_ac4a803d88_b.jpg

51124441039_8a3dbb4a8c_b.jpg

I can't remember the exact details, but this one is an older American-built loco, of which fewer survive.
51124128112_d6b67240a1_b.jpg

51124690661_a45b51f96a_b.jpg

51124600993_acbc18934d_b.jpg

The live part, with more locos on display. I did see one loco running up and down here with a few tourists, but otherwise the site was a ghost town.
51124127222_755f0c5346_b.jpg

By this time I didn't want to wait around for James, so headed over to the school, featured in the next post.

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Huaji High School/華濟中學
Amongst the Instagram and urban explorer collective in Taiwan, this is another honeypot site which has been extensively covered. Not particularly huge, but a unique site which is well worth visiting if you live in Taiwan. After seeing the trains at the sugar factory, I hopped in a taxi and headed over to what I shall now refer to as the school of horrors for reasons that are obvious.

History: 1969: The private Juguang Senior Industrial and Commercial Vocational School was established; departments included the Department of Mechanical Engineering, the Department of Graphics, the Department of Electrical Engineering, and the Department of Child Care.
1990: Changed its name to Private Yongan Industrial Family Vocational School.
1991: Changed its name again to Yongan Senior High School. The departments included general subjects, nursing and tourism.
1998: Huaji Hospital Group took over and changed the name of the school to Huaji Yongan Senior High School, with general, nursing, rehabilitation, commercial beauty, catering management, information and care services offered as subjects.
2014: Huaji Yongan High School suspended enrollment for two years. It cooperated with Debrecen Medical University in Hungary and transformed the school into a branch of the university. The first batch of 13 students enrolled and went to Hungary for classes. The principal Zhuang Yuwen said that the school decided to go out and continue to engage in cultural and educational services.
January 2015: Student enrollments stopped, and the school was run down and closed at the end of the semester.

The explore: A memorable explore for sure, although not epic in itself. At this time the site remains completely unsecured, with no active security measures or guards. However, there is power to some parts of the building and a live transmission system on the roof, so not entirely disused. Entry to the site is a walk in, but once you are inside there are a number of locked doors and windows which either means areas are either inaccessible or require jumping through windows to access. Indeed, previous explorers left chairs on balconies in between the dormitories and vocational block to aid easy access into otherwise locked classrooms.

51125498500_d292c47709_b.jpg

As can be the case in Taiwan, the building was fully stocked throughout and almost everything remained in place from the day it closed.
51124126407_bd9233341f_b.jpg

51125497860_81203eb637_b.jpg

Unfortunately, since previous visits the basement of the building is now completely flooded and inaccessible even with boots on. So have a picture of this discarded doll instead.
51124438524_e9da5c1d70_b.jpg

I tried to fire up the computers but unfortunately the power wasn't on in this room! :D
51124437869_6de0b62e38_b.jpg

51124437669_e2037f0cd3_b.jpg

The last student left
51124598313_d1742302f3_b.jpg

In case you're wondering why I call it the school of horrors, well here's your answer. I know medical paraphernalia isn't scary in itself, but you can't help but be creeped out to see bodies stacked up and left to rot.
51124124647_f9260ac25a_b.jpg

51124597723_49576b95ff_b.jpg

51125495550_71b021066b_b.jpg

51124436164_65a10b27f3_b.jpg

Hannibal Lecter was here...
51125494535_44696ac94b_b.jpg

The medical block, taken from the vocational block. The vocational block was harder to access, requiring a lot of jumping in and out of windows and striking lucky and finding doors that weren't locked or jammed shut.
51124685566_445467cd82_b.jpg

51125493695_2770e08344_b.jpg

51124121512_b6b0144cb4_b.jpg

51124121307_89ef2b63cd_b.jpg

I did explore the dorms behind this block, but to be honest little remained of students' possessions, so I didn't take any photos.

Stay tuned for the next two reports in a separate thread. TBM x

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great stuff, two great reports. The hospital is a bit weirdly creepy with all the dolls and resusci Annies and body parts around . Great photos of all though.:thumb

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great stuff, two great reports. The hospital is a bit weirdly creepy with all the dolls and resusci Annies and body parts around . Great photos of all though.:thumb
Not a hospital. It’s a private vocational high school which trained students in nursing and midwifery. It did other vocational skills as hairdressing and engineering too.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Not a hospital. It’s a private vocational high school which trained students in nursing and midwifery. It did other vocational skills as hairdressing and engineering too.
Ah my mistake, I didnt see the history of the school, I thought it was a comment. My bad, sorry. Still creepy lol

Who has read this thread (Total: 162) View details