real time web analytics
Report - - Yaverland Battery IOW March 09 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Yaverland Battery IOW March 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Pinky

Still researching
28DL Full Member
Yeah no worries guys. There is a big (or was) a big snake in the moat at Bembridge fort lol been all round it inside its stripped and not worth a visit unless you wanna say you have been in there. Its just a frame the people who lease it (micronair have trashed it)

98dblachr

all of these battery's seem to be very similar if not identical in design. there are a few on the south & west coast of wales. many sadly now sealed. great to see a example that is pristine compared to many others.

M

mike671

Iv seen plans for what this is going to look like once developed :eek: its going to be a museum oneside, and sauna the other with a swimming pool encorperated into it somewhere along the line :( well least i seen it before to much gets changed.

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
its a shame the developers think a sauna is what people want surely our history is far more important. tossers

M

mike671

Well aparantly they have to leave the original walls, but the new concrete additions from ww2 can be removed or something. At least they are using some of it as a museum they dont have to do that :rolleyes:

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
true true but would be nice to leave the thing as it is as a museum as its a nice example

Pinky

Still researching
28DL Full Member
well glad we visited before they turn it into a museum if they do just be as boaring as the Needles batteries then yeah its nice they preserve these things in a way but much prefer to visit them knowing that not every tom dick and harry has seen it

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
def agree pinky thats why we do what we do i guess lol lol sod the museum thing i prefer the raw state :)

freshwateriow

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Took a walk up there on Sunday there were loads of holidaymakers around so just took a wander around the site. The magazines and gun emplacements are now fenced off and the Carnot wall has disappeared back under vegetation. One caponnier is visible next to the path and you can get in through an opened up embrasure, but it is back filled at the end as shown in your photos. I will go back without shorts on and see if there is still a way in. I don't think the museum ever happened and it is definitely not opened up officially.