real time web analytics
Report - - Yaverland Battery IOW March 09 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Yaverland Battery IOW March 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
While visiting my girlfriends family on the Isle of Wight at the weekend Pinky told me that they had uncovered the Yaverland Battery so a visit had to be done. We went on Saturday night to have a nose and after a torch lit tour we decided to return during the day to take some shots.

Visited with Pinky, Dowse & Grabs. Cheers for the tour Pinky

Like many Palmerston Forts, Yaverland Battery appeared to be heading for obscurity through gradual destruction and neglect. The remains had already become barely visible under its developing holiday facilities. It is therefore a pleasant surprise to discover the new owner of Sandown Bay Holiday Centre has started on plans to excavate the site and bring the remaining sections back into full view.

History:

Completed in 1864, Yaverland Battery was one of numerous forts established around the Channel coast in the face of an anticipated French landing that never materialised, under the controversial direction of Prime Minister Lord Palmerston. Over the years the Yaverland fortification was subject to a number of adaptations and was still in use in the early 1950s as a training centre. It was finally sold off in 1956 and, like some other coastal forts, became an ideal spot for a holiday centre.
As the holiday facilities developed, parts of the fort were increasingly flattened with the remaining sections left to become heavily overgrown. The new owner acquired the site last summer and decided the remains should not only be preserved but recovered to form an integral part of a redesigned holiday centre.
Much of the surrounding Carnot wall has long since gone but most of the long seaward section remains, together with its two musketry Caponiers. The ditch fronting this has now been completely excavated, bringing the section back to its original state. The fort's main gun emplacements still survive and these will be cleared to form a feature of the revised holiday facilities. A few other structures remain, including a pump house and the original winch room, complete with the winch that controlled a horizontal sliding drawbridge. It is planned to incorporate a small museum covering the history of the battery.

IMG_5394-1.jpg

IMG_5395-1.jpg

IMG_5396-1.jpg

IMG_5397-1.jpg

IMG_5398-1.jpg

IMG_5399-1.jpg

IMG_5400-1.jpg

IMG_5401-1.jpg

IMG_5402-1.jpg

IMG_5403-1.jpg

IMG_5404.jpg

IMG_5405-1.jpg

IMG_5406-1.jpg

IMG_5407-1.jpg

IMG_5408-1.jpg

IMG_5409-1.jpg

IMG_5410-1.jpg

IMG_5411-1.jpg

IMG_5412-1.jpg

IMG_5413-1.jpg

IMG_5414-1.jpg

IMG_5415-1.jpg

IMG_5416-1.jpg

IMG_5417-1.jpg

IMG_5418-1.jpg

IMG_5419-1.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5421-1.jpg

IMG_5422-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Yaverland Battery IOW March 09 (Pic Heavy)

IMG_5423-1.jpg

IMG_5424-1.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5427-1.jpg

IMG_5430-1.jpg

IMG_5431-1.jpg

IMG_5432-1.jpg

IMG_5433-1.jpg

IMG_5434-1.jpg

IMG_5435-1.jpg

IMG_5436-1.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5438-1.jpg

IMG_5439-1.jpg

IMG_5440-1.jpg

IMG_5441-1.jpg

IMG_5442-1.jpg

IMG_5443-1.jpg

IMG_5444-1.jpg

IMG_5445-1.jpg

IMG_5446-1.jpg

IMG_5447-1.jpg

IMG_5448-1.jpg

IMG_5449.jpg

IMG_5454-1.jpg

IMG_5455-1.jpg

IMG_5456-1.jpg

IMG_5457-1.jpg

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

IMG_5458-1.jpg

IMG_5459-1.jpg

IMG_5460-1.jpg

IMG_5461-1.jpg

IMG_5462-1.jpg

IMG_5463-1.jpg

IMG_5464-1.jpg

IMG_5465-1.jpg

IMG_5466-1.jpg

IMG_5467-1.jpg

Pinky

Still researching
28DL Full Member

Nice piccys there Mick ;) we never got round to posting each time we went up they had done a bit and a bit more and never got a chance to take some now its all been cleared so you saved us a job lol Nice one bud good to see everyone again. Got some more things to show you soon TOP SECRET though ;)

Isiah_Sheepworrier

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Interesting shot of Sandown ROC post in the last pic. The Subrit report shows it painted bright yellow. Seems the entrance hatch is the only bit left now.

Truffle Pig

28DL Regular
28DL Full Member

Nice report there Micky, did you manage to get into the carponiars, or did you send someone small in, like Dan? :D

Like Dan says, we have been watching this place, and visiting for quite a while, was gonna do a full report when they had totally finished, but seems they have now, but was rather hoping they were going to uncover alot more :(
But saves me the job of reporting :thumb

Bring your climbing gear next time ;)

zerocool

disco legs all the way :)
28DL Full Member

can u resize the images pls?

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member

Wow that's impressive with lots of kit still in position. I'd assumed this place had been destroyed - was it all just buried ?

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

can u resize the images pls?

Sorry buddy, but i don't seem to have an edit button... I have the resized images ready and waiting, but can't do anything with them :confused

Pinky

Still researching
28DL Full Member

yeah was all just buried buddy. As for the ROC thats still flooded to about 2 foot below the hatch (the welds are long rusted away its liftable with a screwdriver and about 3 people because they have tied the counterbalance to the underside in the middle)

K

ktg0406

nice pictures :D

urban x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
thanx for all the comments guys was a good day and plenty to see. i sent in a small person to the carponiars truffle as i wasnt really dressed for the crawl lol lol. after that we went upto bembridge fort and managed to get into the moat and had a wander right round it where i found a family of slow worms which i thought were snakes living under a hatch lol lol.

Exploretime

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing. I can see your mate has a metal detector. Im currently working in an old fort in pembrokeshire(Dale) putting up a decking area. Ive dug about 10 post holes so far and come across loads of old metal objects with my metal detector(nothing special). The ground under the area im working sounds very hollow and my pick-axe has gone into a gap which is possibly an old blocked off staircase. Im there for the next 2 weeks so hope i can find some intersting stuff like yourself.;)

D

dousey73

was a good day out thank u pinky for tell us where it was . been there before only when it was filled in .