Web
Analytics
Report - - Yeshiva in Hertfordshire - August 2019 | Residential Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Yeshiva in Hertfordshire - August 2019

Gyhs

28DL Member
28DL Member
AFAIK it’s still an active school, which’ll presumably be why all the lights & electricity was on!

Allanafuller17

28DL Member
28DL Member
So wanted to give an update on this so me and some friends visited today after hearing of the place and this isn’t abandoned we met the Jewish men there today and spoke to them they use it for a few months then go back to where they live and then return the house next to it is we’re a worker stays and one of the rabis so there always coming and going through the year . they use the new building to sleep and eat In then the white main building they use the showers and kitchen and the smaller builds to learn and pray. They were very polite and after going earlier and getting told to leave only because they were in the middle of something and it being all boys we were a distraction so we kindly moved on but returned later that day asked if it was okay to take pictures and they gave us a little tour we didn’t go in much because it was dangerous and falling down hence why the school for boys closed because of it being dangerous and failing ofsted and fire regulations but we got some amazing photos of what we could but wouldn’t give away the location as respect for the community

Krazy XPLORE

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi these pictures are great!
I'd love to add a few explanations.
I visited Wellbury house earlier this month and i was so confused when i got there to see that it was still an active Orthodox Jewish school. The fact that the old building was so ruined and judging from the pictures above i was stunned to find boys appearing to be actively going to school and what i can only presume, are infact living there. I was not able to go into any of the buildings because of this. The newer building of the two as you said appeared to be empty dorms and whilst i was there the building was full of pupils who were looking out of the window at us very perplexed by our presence. The pictures of the dorms don't look in great condition but they are definitely lived in by those pupils.
Also, the older building of the two appeared to have some power source as a pupil was on a phone connected to the wall and in the building they were cooking and an extractor fan was on. Eventually an older man came out and asked us to leave saying that it was a private place.
I was confused for a number of reasons. Firstly, how could a school be run in such a terrible state? Surely it can't have passed basic health ad safety tests. It was closed in 2002 because it was in a terrible condition as you noted. I'm guessing it was in a pretty bad way then also. Secondly, why did all the pupils seem so perplexed to see us? I was also suprised that they did not appear to speak any English at all and why were they all male?

After researching for a while i discovered that at age 13 boys who follow orthodox Judaism attend schools like the one this school used to be and currently still is. It was and is common practise for these pupils to travel from abroad in a type of boarding education. Reportedly education of the Yeshiva education institution is highly religious and barely focuses on basic Maths and English skills. However, despite all this it still did not make sense as to how this school was still running. Again, i discovered that Yeshiva education like Islamic education in the UK is highly unregulated by the department of education. This means that they are usually not registered and therefore unlicensed and essentially exist illegally. It is so largely unregulated that many of the schools don't even pass basic health and safety necessities required for pupils when they attend a school (because they aren't registered).
This makes it so much clearer as the school is still operating because the department of education may not know that it exists. I don't want to state this as a fact but i am close to 100% sure this is the case as there is absolutely no possible way that this place would pass health and safety check because it is falling apart.

I don't know the details of your visit to the building but i have a strong feeling you went at a time in which the school could have been on a holiday. It makes sense that the library is in such a good condition because that area is maintained by the pupils and staff of the school and i saw them enter and exit it many times. In essence what i know is that it is still a practising almost certainly an unregistered illegal school and i would advise that you do not go there as they were not impressed by our presence.

Eyezontheprizeue

28DL Member
28DL Member
visited here yesterday, many students still entering the derelict building all appeared to be using cheap mobile phones which none to speak English, the older gentlemen was polite and told us the code to get back out didn't access anything due to respect, will come back...

Rik UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great Stuff thanks for sharing good report that and looks a nice little mooch, interesting building!

Ahh I see its not actually abandoned! Looks like you picked the right day for a visit :D

nb43800

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi All, tried to get init here last weekend. It’s a no go. The People who own the place have built a new building attached to it and are living there so no one can get in. Sorry.

nb43800

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The old building is abandoned but the Jewish Community who own it have built a new building next to it and are using the grounds. Please do not attempt to get into this place. Who flew a drone over it to check it out and people where coming in and out of the building. THIS IS OFFICALLY A NO GO!