Web
Analytics
Report - - Yeshiva in Hertfordshire | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Yeshiva in Hertfordshire

xonix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is the first place I've been to that hasn't already had a tone of reports for it. So it's my first proper upload.

A little bit of history
Founded in the late 80s and following the Ashkenazi Orthodox rituals, back in its hay day the boarding school hosted around 200 students.
After a safety inspection in 2002 the school was ordered to close. The charity commission wrote;

“To my layman's eyes it seemed like a death trap. Conditions were shocking. We saw very little in the way of fire safety equipment or fire safety instruction. We did see a broken glass panel in a door, cracked floor tiles just waiting for someone to trip on them, bare wires and emergency lights dangling precariously from the ceiling. I'm no expert but I wouldn't want to send my own kids there”

Looking at the pictures you can see the main site has two differently aged buildings. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any information regarding the dates the building were built, but the original state was built prior to 1918, I found a sales document for this date. And I assume the newer building was built in the 1990’s/2000's.

So the day starting with a lovely walk in the country side, attempting to convince my friends that I knew where I was going, needless to say my navigation skills managed to get us there.
We first started looking around the older of the building, nothing much to say really, it was pretty dark inside and very damp. The structural integrity of the building was pretty poor, and being a reckless type, I had a couple of near misses on the upper floor. Ironically we found a load of fire extinguishers though….

After a look around the older building, we headed out the back had a look at the swimming pool and had a play on the tire swing… as you do.
We then ventured into the newer of the building, which turned out to be a dormitory. Loads of empty dorm rooms, a dinning area and loads of security camera that were still on.

Whispers on the wind were saying there were squatters still living here, we didn’t come across anyone, but wondering around the dorms we spotted fresh food, in date milk (the labels were in Hebrew) and fresh laundry handing up to dry. We reckon they were partly staying here for the Mikveh (a bath used for rituals).

On our way out after contemplating why there were a load of shoes hanging from a tree…. we realized there was a building tucked out the way which turned out to be the highlight of the explore.

It was a splendid building inside, complete with a beautiful altar, a hidden safe and a library full of books. We’re still confused about the light up cellos/violins though. The pictures really don't do it justice.

K0Si8zgI.jpeg.jpg

KoajH6y8.jpeg.jpg

P3230006.JPG

P3230013.JPG

P3230036.JPG

P3230038.JPG

P3230051.JPG

P3230053.JPG

P3230056.JPG

P3230072.JPG

P3230077.JPG

P3230085.JPG

P3230091.JPG

P3230101.JPG

P3230114.JPG

P3230115.JPG

P3230119.JPG

P3230125.JPG

P3230128.JPG

P3230131.JPG

P3230148.JPG

Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Looks a good mooch that, nice work.

Yorrick

I call bullshit!
Regular User
Really good first report.

I couldn’t find any information regarding the dates the buildings were built
Built in the 1860s, the Wellbury Estate in Hertfordshire was built for Francis Gosling and his family. Gosling, a director of Barclay's Bank died in 1910 while his wife, Henrietta, died in 1916. The estate comprised a mansion, park and a farm of some 300 acres.

The estate was sold to Sir William Austin Bart, whose family was prominent in both Yorkshire and Cornwall. Sir William's time at Wellbury was to be short. In February, 1920, he was elected to the mastership of the Suffolk Hunt. He decided to sell the estate in two separate parts: Wellbury House and park with around 110 acres, and Wellbury Farm with an acreage of 296.

The 1922 edition of Kelly's Handbook of Hertfordshire has the House and Park occupied by Stanislas Eyre, a prominent London Solicitor. Part of Wellbury Farm totaling 21 acres was sold to Ralph Delme-Radcliffe - Lord of the Manor in neighbouring Hitchin. The remainder, some 233 acres, was sold to Alfred Bullard for £6000.

By 1935 it had become Wellbury school, a private school for Catholic boys aged 7 to 13. In 1935 the “Wellbury School Chapel” was certified as a place of worship.

In 1946 it is on a list of Polish resettlement camps, though it may still have been in use as a school.

The chapel was de-listed in 1971.

I can’t find a record of when the Catholic school moved out, but Yeshivas Toras Chessed was founded in 1989 and was a rabbinical school for Torah study, the study of Talmud, Rabbinic literature and Responsa.

The extension was granted planning permission in 1999.

After closure the Yeshiva relocated to London.

Barretted

28DL Member
28DL Member
Visited this place last night, was a tad tricky finding it in the darkness but we managed to stumble across it. The one thing that creeps me out is how there’s still power on in the newer building, never been to an “abandoned” place where the lights were on! Needless to say we didn’t explore inside the new building as the lights scared us off. Good explore though!

xonix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really good first report.

Built in the 1860s, the Wellbury Estate in Hertfordshire was built for Francis Gosling and his family. Gosling, a director of Barclay's Bank died in 1910 while his wife, Henrietta, died in 1916. The estate comprised a mansion, park and a farm of some 300 acres.

The estate was sold to Sir William Austin Bart, whose family was prominent in both Yorkshire and Cornwall. Sir William's time at Wellbury was to be short. In February, 1920, he was elected to the mastership of the Suffolk Hunt. He decided to sell the estate in two separate parts: Wellbury House and park with around 110 acres, and Wellbury Farm with an acreage of 296.

The 1922 edition of Kelly's Handbook of Hertfordshire has the House and Park occupied by Stanislas Eyre, a prominent London Solicitor. Part of Wellbury Farm totaling 21 acres was sold to Ralph Delme-Radcliffe - Lord of the Manor in neighbouring Hitchin. The remainder, some 233 acres, was sold to Alfred Bullard for £6000.

By 1935 it had become Wellbury school, a private school for Catholic boys aged 7 to 13. In 1935 the “Wellbury School Chapel” was certified as a place of worship.

In 1946 it is on a list of Polish resettlement camps, though it may still have been in use as a school.

The chapel was de-listed in 1971.

I can’t find a record of when the Catholic school moved out, but Yeshivas Toras Chessed was founded in 1989 and was a rabbinical school for Torah study, the study of Talmud, Rabbinic literature and Responsa.

The extension was granted planning permission in 1999.

After closure the Yeshiva relocated to London.
Some good reaserch there. Thanks XD

xonix

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this place last night, was a tad tricky finding it in the darkness but we managed to stumble across it. The one thing that creeps me out is how there’s still power on in the newer building, never been to an “abandoned” place where the lights were on! Needless to say we didn’t explore inside the new building as the lights scared us off. Good explore though!
Yeah, we ere quite surprised to by the electricity.... we thought it would have been taken of the grid...

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
nice work finding this and you've got some good photos too. Pretty decent location. :thumb