Web
Analytics
Report - - York Silk Mill - Leek - Dec 2018 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - York Silk Mill - Leek - Dec 2018


Humpa

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with @raisinwing

This one has been on the cards forever and after many, many, many, many years of looking, trying and failing we actually managed to get this one done. Again, Slightly pic heavy but its a mill!


One of the textile mills of Brough Nicholson & Hall. York Mill on Ashbourne Road, constructed in 1898 and named to commemorate a visit to Leek by the Duke and Duchess of York in 1900.

The business was founded by John Brough, a silk manufacturer in about 1812. After his early efforts, his sons, Joshua, James and John took over the mantle. The brothers had a factory built on Union Street in 1844 and later took on partners, Joshua Nicholson and B.B. Nixon to became J. and J. Brough, Nicholson & Co. in 1863. Soon after a warehouse was built on Cross Street in about 1865, close to Hope Mill on Fountain Street. In less than ten years this mill had been acquired and extended to twice its original size. The partnership was employing 630 workers in 1891. Following a series of changes in the partnership due to deaths and retirements, the firm became Brough, Nicholson & Hall in 1891. The partners soon embarked on a new scheme of development involving the extension of the Cross Street building, and the building of a new mill on Well Street (known from 1900 as Royal York Mill). Around this time the firm also took over the Cecily Mills in Cheadle. In 1968 many of the firms' buildings were demolished, and in 1983 Brough, Nicholson & Hall sold their only remaining premises, Cross Street Mill, to Berisfords, the Congleton ribbon firm.

32098-0.jpg
IMG_4375.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg
IMG_4381.jpg
IMG_4383.jpg
IMG_4386.jpg
IMG_4388.jpg
IMG_4389.jpg
IMG_4390.jpg
IMG_4393.jpg
IMG_4396.jpg
IMG_4403.jpg
IMG_4404.jpg
IMG_4406.jpg


 

Similar threads


Top