real time web analytics
Report - - Ystrad Einion Copper Mine, Furnace, Ceridigion, Wales - February 2019 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ystrad Einion Copper Mine, Furnace, Ceridigion, Wales - February 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Been reported on many times by, amongst others, @Xan_Asmodi, @Landsker, @The Kwan, @tumbles, @monk, @Moose and @Lavino.

I visited previously about 7 or 8 years ago wth Landsker and remember the visit for two particular reasons. The first was both of us testing (unwittingly) the integrity of a 200 year old false floor on the upper level and the second was the realising that not only Ireland and South Wales have car wrecking shit roads in the middle of nowhere. Back to today and getting sent by work to the middle of nowhere has got advantages as places like this usually are in the middle of nowhere (the road up to the mine is still as shit as ever !!).

HISTORY
Although possibly of some antiquity the mine was certainly one of those worked by the Company of Mine Adventures about 1700 and slightly later by The Flintshire Mining Company. Nothing was done from 1760 until 1853 when the mine was restarted by a partnership of Charles Kirkpatrick and TA Readwin of gold mines fame. They abandoned it within a year but the mine was taken up by two brothers Thomas and Henry Jones who worked the mine until 1869.

In 1870 the mine passed into the hands of Mr Adam Mason who ran the mine throughout its longest working period and was responsible for installing the underground water wheel in a worked out stope. The wheel is still there today but in a partially dismantled state due to scrap merchants removing its bearings about 1910.

The mine was worked up to about 1900, but was never profitable. The main ore produced was copper, although lead, zinc, and a little silver were also produced.

PHOTOS
1. In

33304383998_ce91a33611_b.jpg

2. Wheel

33304382108_d1cda2bfa4_b.jpg

3. Pully remains

47179631061_b24a332e39_b.jpg

4. Rising Main

46456103784_f7107cd3ae_b.jpg

5. From light...

46456102564_834e4eb883_b.jpg

6. ...to dark

46456103034_9277fd3692_b.jpg

7. Fellowship

46456101474_88a09bcd51_b.jpg

8. Shaftage

33304369218_78eec34c9c_b.jpg

9. Out

40214769373_e5736ae38c_b.jpg

10. Light me up...

40214770543_7d739a196b_b.jpg

11. ...before you go, go...

46456101974_d63bbf460f_b.jpg

Thanks for looking !

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
My club want to go here sometime, lovely pics as usual mate.

Definately worth a visit for the remaining stuff - wheel, kibble, winze, colourisation, etc. - but not a very big place in reality.

You'd get around it all in a couple of hours.

The water level in the shaft has risen - I remember crossing it in wellies years ago - but above knee level now. Not sure if the rise is due to the infill sinking or just more water. Bit of both I think !!!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Definately worth a visit for the remaining stuff - wheel, kibble, winze, colourisation, etc. - but not a very big place in reality.

You'd get around it all in a couple of hours.

The water level in the shaft has risen - I remember crossing it in wellies years ago - but above knee level now. Not sure if the rise is due to the infill sinking or just more water. Bit of both I think !!!

The water gets clogged up on the entrance with weeds etc. It’s a good plan to take a garden fork and clear it as the water levels dropped about a foot in ten minutes when we did it.

Still laugh at the first time we did this and rocked up on a sunny May bank holiday in three cars to find a couple shagging on the grass to the left hand side. They weren’t expecting us somehow!

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The water gets clogged up on the entrance with weeds etc. It’s a good plan to take a garden fork and clear it as the water levels dropped about a foot in ten minutes when we did it.

Still laugh at the first time we did this and rocked up on a sunny May bank holiday in three cars to find a couple shagging on the grass to the left hand side. They weren’t expecting us somehow!

Ahhh...nice one. Will remember that.

Of all the places on all the days when they went to find a quiet place !!!!

samkeys99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic mine, visited here several times, always impressed by the fuck off massive water wheel

LittleOwl

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking place and love the shots! Hoping to take a wander up that way in the next few weeks, so may have to pick your brains

Who has read this thread (Total: 213) View details