real time web analytics
Report - - Ystrad Einion Copper Mine, Wales - May 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ystrad Einion Copper Mine, Wales - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
After the mills of Talybont it was only a short drive up to this rather lovely little mine. First visited it a few years ago but never really took any photos - I just stood and admired the waterwheel in all its glory.

The mine itself is ridiculously old, it could originally of been founded around 1700's - records show it was brought back into operation around 1850's but suffered from poor production and despite a few ownership changes it ceased production before the turn of the 20th century. Two adits are accessible although the further north one has suffered from a collapse and only goes a small distance down. The main adit features the stunning waterwheel - one of only two left in situ in the UK it really is a sight to behold. The whole site is a scheduled ancient monument.

As I was on my own for this visit I didn't venture too far inside the main adit - I didn't really feel comfortable as there are more than a few dodgy floors further along!

11.jpg

How the mill would have looked back in the day

10.jpg

9.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks for looking - little bit more info here Ystrad Einon Copper Mine, Wales | Whatevers Left | UK Urbex

D4RK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ye, what a nice explore, can't believe we I still haven't visited this place, Morrisey. Seams like a good pick for the next day out :D

Thanks,
D4RK

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Make a day of it and do the two mills at Talybont as only about 10 minutes down the road.

D4RK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Are the mills worth visiting as I have heard that theres not much left there?

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really nice - that waterwheel is impressive. Was it used for haulage/winding or something else? Nice shots there mate. :thumb