real time web analytics
Report - - Ystrad Einon Copper Mine, Furnace, Wales 2017 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ystrad Einon Copper Mine, Furnace, Wales 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RobSkyline

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First post of an explore, other than a 'hello' post once I registered.

If I've made any mistakes please let me know...

I stumbled across Ystrad Einon mine while on a family holiday last year & wasn't equipped to enter (plus I had the kids with me!) So this year me & the Mrs came back, fully prepared, and went for an explore. We are new to this, so we are not as adventurous as some others, but we went in & took some photos. (I'm also not as good with photographing underground yet either!)

A little history (taken from site records)
Ystrad Einon Copper mine worked a NE-SW lode which is unusual in mid-Wales and is largely restricted to the Dovey estuary. Development of the mine below adit level did not start until the late 19th century with the sinking of a winze to the 12 fathom level in 1871. A 16' diameter underground waterwheel was installed for pumping and lifting; this allowed the mine to be deepened by another 12 fathoms.
The mine continued to expand with a new engine shaft down to 30 fathoms and on the surface a 1.5 mile leat was constructed to bring water to a new 22.5 foot diameter waterwheel for pumping and winding and a smaller wheel for driving a stone breaker and crushing rolls. A third waterwheel drove two 20' diameter bubblers and a six compartment jigger.

Although the new plant was ready for use in 1877 full production didn't start till 1891 once the ore reserves had been established. The reserves were, however, to prove disappointing and by 1897 only 9 tons of lead ore, 10 tons of blende (zinc) and 45 tons of copper ore had been mined.

It's mentioned on many websites that there was a 'half hearted' attempt to provide good access to the mine site, this was never really completed & has suffered large amounts of over-growth due to lack of up-keep. However, the site still has the information board, footpaths & staircases that make identifying the mine easy enough.

The explore....

Information board:

36546664945_509465c2a7_k.jpg

Site condition:

35711755524_4528734c67_k.jpg

36378280792_03955e5eef_k.jpg

35737337223_335887dcee_k.jpg

Capped Shaft:

36546674155_98a58fefb6_k.jpg

Looking down the shaft:

35711766634_fd0347b138_k.jpg

Looking into the upper adit - Upper Adit is fairly dry, but only leads to a collapse:

36408814181_681ac038e0_k.jpg

Lower Adit was almost welly deep at the entry, but dry after 40m - Some shots from within:

36378288232_52a880a801_k.jpg

36500172616_dde5a7c947_k.jpg

36546690575_f742552436_k.jpg

36408817041_64744b4339_k.jpg

35737342603_6416fd5627_k.jpg

And this is what we really came to see:
This is one of only two underground waterwheels surviving and accessible at any abandoned mine in the UK, the other being at the base of Brewery Shaft a Nenthead in Cumbria

36408819671_ab7f84ae0a_k.jpg

36546728315_8dd7876d9c_k.jpg

We both left very happy, especially to have seen the water wheel in the flesh!

Thanks
Rob

Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
you seem to be using photobucket mate,none of your images are showing which is a shame cos i was looking forward to them

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
It sounds like a nice explore, but I cannot see the snaps because you've used photobucket to host them. You might need to upload them directly to 28days or use Flickr or forumimagehosting (or another website that permits third party links).

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Ah, how about now mate?
Photobucket changed it's terms and conditions and now expect you to pay 300 odd quid a year to use their 3rd party hosting,so sadly none are showing
The admin team have sorted out all the older links using some form of wizardry but for ow yours are not going to show

RobSkyline

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Still can't see them.
Ah!! Having a meltdown here. I can't re-size the images on my new PC, so I uploaded to Photo-Bucket and pasted the links. I've just tried adjusting settings so if you still can't see them I'll try another way...! Sorry...

RobSkyline

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Photobucket changed it's terms and conditions and now expect you to pay 300 odd quid a year to use their 3rd party hosting,so sadly none are showing
The admin team have sorted out all the older links using some form of wizardry but for ow yours are not going to show

That makes sense! I'll register on another image hosting site and update the photos ASAP. Thanks

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
No worries, just looking forward to seeing the images that accompany your report :thumb

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Much better mate,you may wanna choose a size or two smaller to post on the forum and remove the spammy flickr link backs but for ow they are fine

Try Large 1024 × 680

RobSkyline

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Much better mate,you may wanna choose a size or two smaller to post on the forum and remove the spammy flickr link backs but for ow they are fine

Yes, I will use a smaller size next time! (& remove the link.)

I'll now upload the photos from another mine we visited...

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Great stuff and a cracking report. The waterwheel looks awesome and a brilliant reward. :thumb

Definitely going to add this to my list of places to wander in to.

I don't think your snaps are at all bad considering you haven't much experience. In fact I really like how you've lit the waterwheel in the penultimate snap.