real time web analytics
Report - - Zanzibar, Newcastle Under Lyme - July 2015 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Zanzibar, Newcastle Under Lyme - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
New Find on 28DL

Zanzibar was a large night club 'Super Club' located near Newcastle Under Lyme town centre. The building is a former ballroom and music venue, There isn't much history on this place, other then over the last few years there has been many rumours that the club is to reopen (But I think it is safe to say that the place is fooked). There is also a Facebook group dedicated to reopening the club, the building is made up of several floors and has an unholy amount of pigeons inside. The club is still full of surprises, one being that there was no power to any of the lights but on the top floor there were two Virgin Media WiFi routers that were still working. These were powered by a chain of extenuation leads that disappeared into a hole in the wall.

I must have driven past the place 100's of times and never really paid in any attention, then a few months ago there was an article in the local newspaper, publicising a local group who were campaigning for the club to reopen. So I've kept an eye on the place, and when I spotted access I went for it.

Anyway on with the photos.

IMG_6779.JPG

[2]
IMG_6751.JPG

[3]
IMG_6582.JPG

[4]
IMG_6581.JPG

[5]
IMG_6616.JPG

[6]
IMG_6596.JPG

[7]
IMG_6620.JPG

[8]
IMG_6629.JPG

[9]
IMG_6631.JPG

[10]
IMG_6634.JPG

[11]
IMG_6655.JPG

[12]
IMG_6667.JPG

[13]
IMG_6680.JPG

[14]
IMG_6684.JPG

[15]
IMG_6687.JPG

[16]
IMG_6706.JPG

[17] - Working WiFI Routers
IMG_6717.JPG

[18]
IMG_6733.JPG

[19]
IMG_6745.JPG

Cheers For Looking.​

Last edited:

machineage

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report! I barely recognise the place from when I used to attend when it was 'Ritzy's'. When were these images captured Gronk? There's suggestions on the FB group they are old pictures from around 2 years ago?

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Great report! I barely recognise the place from when I used to attend when it was 'Ritzy's'. When were these images captured Gronk? There's suggestions on the FB group they are old pictures from around 2 years ago?

See title of the thread mate? :thumb I take it you are the same one who has just been sending me messages through FB then? lol

machineage

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No Gronk I've not sent you any messages through FB. I just wondered as one lady on there suggested it was looking like that two years ago when she went in - and then posted 'May I comment that its nothing like these Photos show at the moment'.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
No Gronk I've not sent you any messages through FB. I just wondered as one lady on there suggested it was looking like that two years ago when she went in - and then posted 'May I comment that its nothing like these Photos show at the moment'.

Of right okay, I've just received some spiteful messages from one of the people who claim to be all about 'saving' the building. With a very similar story.

But, no worries. :thumb

machineage

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hehe, well if that IS what it looks like now it's gonna take a LOT of everything to save it! I see in one photo that the whole of the roof is missing alongside the main room? I don't understand why that lady said that they were old photo's and that it looks nothing like that now. Obviously has her reasons I guess... Oh well. It would be very sad to see it go, but quite honestly the land is probably worth a whole lot more to a developer than it being reinstated in its original guise.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Ritzys, fed the pony many times in there in my youth.

You've got a fan email btw...

I am looking for the person who submitted the recent pictures of our building on your site, with a view to visiting their private property when they aren't about or they can be there if they want so the police can interview them about our missing property. And the HSE may want a word. Just a name and address will be good. Many thanks. Regards

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Nice one mate always wanted see inside a pool table lol. Good report there :thumb

Mystical

28DL Member
28DL Member
wow so many memories of this place, sadly it did become a bit of a trouble spot in its later years and i cant understand why people would be so bothered as to try and save the building, the area around it could generally do with a cleanup (although some progress has been made) and the site could have lots more uses for younger people

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Don't know what that was about. :confused:

wow so many memories of this place, sadly it did become a bit of a trouble spot in its later years and i cant understand why people would be so bothered as to try and save the building, the area around it could generally do with a cleanup (although some progress has been made) and the site could have lots more uses for younger people
They're wasting their time I think, there is so much water damage in that place.

Who has read this thread (Total: 321) View details