real time web analytics
Report - - Zanzibar, Newcastle Under Lyme - July 2015 | Leisure Sites | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Zanzibar, Newcastle Under Lyme - July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Wilks

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Zanzibar in Chesterfield is empty (and has been for a few years now). That place is huge as it was the old Regal cinema and it held around 3000 in its many rooms. It became Escapades then Department only for Boyes to open a shop in a section of it. I want to explore it and this has got my juices flowing.

Also (almost next door) is the old Xanadu that became a Lava & Ignite... Only to last less than a year... It's still closed and so is the old Livingstones that became Sin... Also closed.

I need to scope a day in Chesterfield again.

Ladimay

28DL Member
28DL Member
My name is Jane I was Zanzibar's first female door supervisor ( bouncer ) that was in July 1999 Delta Security ( Daz ) was contracted to provide the door staff back then.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
My name is Jane I was Zanzibar's first female door supervisor ( bouncer ) that was in July 1999 Delta Security ( Daz ) was contracted to provide the door staff back then.

I must admit, this place is probably in my top 5 locations.

Ladimay

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow thank ever so much for the update. Did you know that Maxine's Nightclub in Newcastle is being knocked down ??? It's half down all ready even though it's a very big part of its history Maxine's is also listed in The Doomsday Book.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Wow thank ever so much for the update. Did you know that Maxine's Nightclub in Newcastle is being knocked down ??? It's half down all ready even though it's a very big part of its history Maxine's is also listed in The Doomsday Book.

Been there done that, it wasn't great inside as it had been pretty much stripped when it closed as. Club.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Well it's back up for sale after having had a considerable amount of money spent on it... Chance to get a look inside this Wednesday.

To be fair it was never going to work out, it'll meet the same fair as Metropolis (The Savoy) on the high street.

Look how rough the photos are as well, buying that 10mm EFS was the best thing I've ever done. :)

machineage

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Plenty of photos here taken on the open day: https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/new...ry/take-tour-inside-newcastles-former-3434832

I agree, it was an ambitious project, and one wonders how much market research was done in advance of works being done & money being spent. Certainly very little in the way of advertising was forthcoming about the venture.

All of the roofs have been replaced including above the domed main hall. The missing roof to the side of the hall now has a skylight along the entire length. They have created an indoor street here with stone flooring and units which encroach into the hall. A new lift has been installed and the electrics & windows have been replaced / reinstalled. That aside all of what was there before has been completely stripped out of the building in most places, some of which is now back to bare brick, including the basement. It's a fairly characterless shell now compared to what it was before. The only clues to its former days being some of the original dance floor not yet covered and a sole-surviving speaker awaiting its fate! It's unrcognizeable to me now.

Seems like there is tentative interest, but I cannot help but think a lot of money is going to be lost here, and the building's future at this stage doesn't look great.

Last edited:

Sprogletto

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
New Find on 28DL

Zanzibar was a large night club 'Super Club' located near Newcastle Under Lyme town centre. The building is a former ballroom and music venue, There isn't much history on this place, other then over the last few years there has been many rumours that the club is to reopen (But I think it is safe to say that the place is fooked). There is also a Facebook group dedicated to reopening the club, the building is made up of several floors and has an unholy amount of pigeons inside. The club is still full of surprises, one being that there was no power to any of the lights but on the top floor there were two Virgin Media WiFi routers that were still working. These were powered by a chain of extenuation leads that disappeared into a hole in the wall.

I must have driven past the place 100's of times and never really paid in any attention, then a few months ago there was an article in the local newspaper, publicising a local group who were campaigning for the club to reopen. So I've kept an eye on the place, and when I spotted access I went for it.

Anyway on with the photos.

IMG_6779.JPG

[2]
IMG_6751.JPG

[3]
IMG_6582.JPG

[4]
IMG_6581.JPG

[5]
IMG_6616.JPG

[6]
IMG_6596.JPG

[7]
IMG_6620.JPG

[8]
IMG_6629.JPG

[9]
IMG_6631.JPG

[10]
IMG_6634.JPG

[11]
IMG_6655.JPG

[12]
IMG_6667.JPG

[13]
IMG_6680.JPG

[14]
IMG_6684.JPG

[15]
IMG_6687.JPG

[16]
IMG_6706.JPG

[17] - Working WiFI Routers
IMG_6717.JPG

[18]
IMG_6733.JPG

[19]
IMG_6745.JPG

Cheers For Looking.​
I find it quite spooky that theres working WiFi routers in there considering its abandonded since the late 90s. All the pigeon poop and direpair im sure noone would want to use rhe internet in there for long. The only possibility is the routers are for the movile masts on the roof but thats unlikely.

Who has read this thread (Total: 322) View details