real time web analytics
Report - - Old Chalford Electricity Substation (Probably), Oxfordshire May 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Old Chalford Electricity Substation (Probably), Oxfordshire May 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
A simple one from a day spent checking out mostly local stuff with little in the way of success (as is usual).

The last time any internal photos of this building near Chipping Norton appeared online was way back in 2009 on that 'rival' forum. On said other forum and in a couple of subsequent Flickr photos of the outside, it was referred to as a pumping station, however I think this was an error - looking at it's design, the cable runs in the floor, and the outlet for six massive cables located in a sunken recess in the main room I believe it was an electricity substation. Other than a date stone saying 1948 there no other details there to help, and there is zero reference to it anywhere online either, so it's a little bit of an enigma.

The good thing was though, on reviewing the few available photos from 2009, it has changed minimally, with only a few more boards and some more decay inside. It is completely empty, but hasn't been documented on here before so I think it deserves a little bit of airtime.

53697229762_0db630b18a_b.jpg

53697229807_9f57e64be2_b.jpg

53698561660_b543093959_b.jpg

53698118306_e344fd9626_b.jpg

53698118286_6f6c5d559e_b.jpg

53698329773_e699daf2da_b.jpg

53698329768_224f5dafd1_b.jpg

53698460999_4913ae0016_b.jpg

53697229722_5595b2dbd4_b.jpg

53698460969_4ed2df2266_b.jpg

53698329743_6b67c8488d_b.jpg

Cheers for looking :)

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a strange one. Does look a bit like a pumping station from the outside but definitely doesn't seem like it on the inside. It could have been a Telephone Exchange, there's quite a lot of disused ones dotted about. Had a look at a few OS maps and doesn't come up with anything, just a square for the building itself. Whatever it is, I like it!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
That's a strange one. Does look a bit like a pumping station from the outside but definitely doesn't seem like it on the inside. It could have been a Telephone Exchange, there's quite a lot of disused ones dotted about. Had a look at a few OS maps and doesn't come up with anything, just a square for the building itself. Whatever it is, I like it!

Telephone exchange was my second guess, it's definitely a weird one. Seems weirdly large for one that's stuck in the middle of nowhere outside a town though.

Definitely worth a little look if you're ever passing though, the decay inside is lovely.

GPSS urbex

28DL Member
28DL Member

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
The fact that that this is on a Main road suggests that It might be a TRS, A BT repeater station used to amlify long-distance telephone cables.
There's one on the A1 at south Witham

Some info:

I've seen pictures of those cool old lampshades in other BT exchanges.

Makes sense! Thanks for that info!

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Was wondering what that was - peaked through a couple of windows last year while doing some water wheel pumps on nearby streams.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice little explore. Very clean which is surprising. Love the peel. Strange to see that old shelter loo in there!

dead format

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Drove past this a few years ago - wasn't able to stop but it was on my to do list. I suspected BT (PO/GPO) and indeed, I'm going to stick with this - note the envelope in your pictures - "PO Number 2 Medium" - this was an internal mail envelope in PO. The lamp shades are also PO issue.

There are a number of repeater stations (TRS) along this road. This seems to be a master station. The ducts will be where the cables entered from TRS along the route.

A lovely little unit and very sad I couldn't stop by at the time.

dead format

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'd say telephone exchange. I've seen a few similar looker former exchanges on property auction sites.

It certainly is. I had a friend who worked on this patch - he remembers this unit but hasn't yet furnished me with more information.

This isn't a typical exchange as such, but seems to be a unit where multiple TRS lines met.

Now I'm very familiar with BT/GPO infrastructure but I'm a little rusty on the old TRS setup - but the ducts ended up building up gasses / gasses were somehow involved - so gas management was a huge part of the TRS infrastructure - it was strictly monitored - so no doubt this had something to do with it